Fly wheel on Gransport

urbanmaser

If one is changing the clutch is it worth changing the fly wheel at the same time???? I don't know how expensive a fly wheel is or in deed if it needs changing.

conaero

Forum Owner
Its not a lot, a couple of hundred so its not much in the grand scheme of things.

The rule of thumb is change the clutch bearing, flywheel, spigot bearing and bell housing bearing every other clutch.

urbanmaser

three years old, 10,000 miles and original clutch only 43% worn is it worth it????????? Should I be changing the bell housing and clutch bearings anyways??? I thought all this was part of the new clutch kit?????

conaero

Forum Owner
The kit comes with plate and cover only, not the bearing. If you want to splash the money, I would replace the clutch bearing, but if they inspect it and say its fine, leave it.

As for the other bits, I would not change them if they pass a visual inspection.

Klive

If there's a risk of any hot spots or uneveness on the fly wheel then it's a good idea to change it. The mechanics should check for this when it's changed and advise you accordingly.

jpmondalek

Its not a lot, a couple of hundred so its not much in the grand scheme of things.

The rule of thumb is change the clutch bearing, flywheel, spigot bearing and bell housing bearing every other clutch.

Matt, can you please share with us an estimate of what these items cost individually (plus clutch)?

conaero

Forum Owner
www.eurospares.co.uk

Clutch (plate and cover) £477

EVERY OTHER CLUTCH OR FAILING INSPECTION:
Clutch Bearing £284
Flywheel £276
Spigot Bearing £18
Output Bearing £28

All prices plus VAT and delivery

bill

Changing the flywheel generally would not be nessasery unless there is excessive wear. However might be worth skimming the contact surface so that the clutch has a flat contact surface. I would spend the cash on the release bearing. How did loz got on with the clutch plate relining?

lozcb

Waiting for the call back to A P Racing re the brakes , soon as thats finalized i 'll be on the clutch lining along with a few other bits and bobs

regards loz

jpmondalek

For us less technically inclined (myself included), the following correspond to the below chart from Eurospares:

1) Clutch
3) Flywheel
9) Clutch/thrust bearing
23) Output bearing

Where's the spigot bearing???

106_022.gif

conaero

Forum Owner
Spigot Bearing: Item 9 and you may as well change 10, rear main oil seal whilst your there.

106_002.gif

lozcb

No need to replace the sensor unless they are having difficulty resetting the pis kis points etc and getting the correct reading from the new clutch , only cases i know of where they change the F1 sensor as matter of course is when they tried in the states to adapt the kevlar clutches into massers , i spoke to Carlos of Classic Coach about this, and he said that thats how they overcame the initial problems with installation but they still couldn't eradicate the ****** effect in first , which got progressively worse after use , 2-6th was fine its was just pulling away in first

regards loz

jpmondalek

Thanks guys! I just ordered the whole lot (ex-sensor, thnx Loz!)

I figured I would order these along with the interior panels and have them all shipped together, as my car is at 25k miles on the original clutch.

rs48635

three years old, 10,000 miles and original clutch only 43% worn is it worth it????????? Should I be changing the bell housing and clutch bearings anyways??? I thought all this was part of the new clutch kit?????

Agree with bearing check/inspect and replace especially when done at low mileage. On the other hand if clutch lasts 40k + miles the nreplace bearings anyway.

Not sure Flywheel is a "replace just in case item". Most decent engineering workshops will be able to balance check and skim contact surface for about £50. No point throwing out a big lump of iron for the sake of it.

As mentioned, replace rear main oil seal, but only if the flywheel is off anyway. Always a chance that flywheel bolts could be seized and might shear off which will add to your already mounting bill.

MAF260

Current price looks about right for what I paid recently. If you get everything replaced you'll be looking at c.£2k including labour from an indie.

EnzoMC

I just had a quote for my burnt out clutch from inde - parts and lab £2,300 +vat which seem high to me ?

Parisien

Seems high....though Maserati prices can be all over the place.....strange also as Euro has weakened quite a bit over last 3 months

P

MAF260

That seems quite steep, Darren. I suggest you call around and get competitive quotes. I had my car transported from NW London to Manchester to have a new clutch installed because of Autoshield's reputation and fair price for the work.