Oh dear disaster strikes

urbanmaser

Day 1 of my Maserati service and disaster strikes.

I just got a phone call from service department manager saying that the mechanic had cracked my windscreen. Their claim is that the windscreen is not original Maserati and that whoever had fitted it had caught one of the three legs for the housing for the pollen filter between the glass and the body. When the mechanic went to remove the housing which should just slide off, the windscreen gave way. They claim that before a new windscreen is fitted that the pollen filter housing should be removed first in order to avoid such a thing happening.

That was the bad news. The good news is that they have said that since the car was in their care, they will pay for the replacement :)

They claim that there is no Maserati symbol on the glass which would indicate the screen is not original:confused:

conaero

Forum Owner
Oh dear, at least you will have a nice new windscreen with no stone chips in it!

Just have a quick look round the surrounding paintwork when they have it replaced. They dont do it, they get the usual windscreen monkeys in and the have a habit of using the bodywork to prise the old screen out.

Also, the tops of the wings are very soft so check by looking down their length that they are not buckled where people have been leaning on it, like when replacing the windscreen.

Also, when the bonnet is shut, it is instinct to push it down to check, and this results in the leading edge of the bonnet to crease where it folds over the frame support underneath, I had to have mine repainted due to this. The bonnet should only ever be shut by dropping it the last 6 inches, and never pushed shut.

...and of course the usual door dings and curbed alloys these cars seem to magic up from nowhere.

Not trying to stress you out, but I always keep an eye on it.

conaero

Forum Owner
Not meaning to stress you out, but one learns from experiance.

I remember buying a brand new GTV 3.2V6 Lusso and it had to go back into the dealer, Perrys Portsmouth, because it came with the wrong wheels.

They had it over night due to complications, and when I went to pick it up, this 2 week old car had massive door dents all down both flanks, I went f'ing mental! The head of service calmly replied, well, we tried to look after it!

And they wonder why Alfa is in such a state!

So, they said they would fix it, and send a door dent guy out who told me he had only been doing it 3 weeks, and as a result, did a poor job and managed to scratch both front door glass due to him levering off it, back in to Perrys....etc etc etc, this went on for ages, in the end I took it elsewhere and Perrys had to pay the other dealer to sort it.

urbanmaser

Conaero

I put my concerns about protecting the body work in writing. Hopefully it will be fine. We are talking HR Owen here and whilst they did smash it in first instance, at least they held their hands up and took responsibility. When we have the next meeting at the Ace I would like to meet up with you a bit earlier and take you to the workshop( Loz said he wanted to see it), which is really state of the art with dozens of prized possessions including a £2 million sixties Ferrari and an Enzo.

Accidents happen but I am hoping that one accident is enough for them.

urbanmaser

Pictures from HR Owen of the bracket bonded to the windscreen. It was when the mechanic tried to slide the cover for the pollen filter that disaster struck

]

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

urbanmaser

Once again Lord Loz proves right. HR Owen confirmed the windscreen was original Maserati. They were looking on the drivers side for the logo instead of the passenger side

conaero

Forum Owner
Doh!

Yes, Ill be up for the meeting. We will get the Ace date nailed down in the coming days, am I correct in thinking, Italian day is the 2nd Thursday in every month?

Saying that, gate crashing the Harley gig last time was no biggy.