Water in boot again

conaero

Forum Owner
Just found the usual puddle in the boot, plus all the carpet down the rear of the back seats is wet.

I had my rear window replaced about a year ago.

What is the usual cause of this? I have heard of people getting in their boot with a torch whilst someone hoses the boot down, surely there is a better way?

Parisien

Yup, slowly eliminate one by one likely causes, to date my mechanic has "mastiked" the four screws around petrol filler neck, am going to check in detail the boot seal, and finally look at the bolt/screw apertures plus panel join just below rear window (2 of them), may need re-"mastiked"

P

Last edited:

conaero

Forum Owner
Cheers for that, Ill give it a look at the weekend, let me know if you find anything else.

One thing I was thinking about doing, is lining the boot with paper and giving it a hose down, that should show signs of where the water is coming from.

conaero

Forum Owner
Had a closer look and the boot seal, at the bottom of the rear screen, where if mates with the underside of the bootlid is very wet, so I think I am close.

Parisien

So either hinge attachements or 2 panels joins!.....are you sure your name aint Poirot...;)....?

You will have to look very closely, under very good light to see if the sealant atthe joins has perished (sortof) or become permeable/pinholed/failed......not very obvious, then needs scraped out completely ( am going from memory off the other board!)

Do a few pics Conaero if you can...its a never ending problem and maybe get it made a "sticky"!

P

Predator

I discovered this recently and found my service book, owners manual etc were soaked! :( I took the entire boot seal out, cleaned it all and filled it with black silicone sealant and replaced it. I also ran the sealant accross the bottom of the rubber seal, where the rear bumper leads up to and paid particular attention to the lock section, which is where I think the water was leaking in from (going by the trail). That seams to have taken care of it.

Your problem does sound more serious though. I've not had the rear seat carpet wet, so that probably is the rear window. Either way, I hope you get it sorted.

John

bill

conaero,
I had a similar problem with my 3200. turned out to be the seems where the panels meet under the rear screen behind the hindges. I found them by applying the hose (with a small flow!) with the boot open, all the way round the top side. between the seems there supose to be lots os sealant but they must have run pout when the build my car! Scaped with a needle the little sealant that was there and replaced it with a liberal aplication of silicone and hey presto havent had a leal for over a year. hope this helps

Bill

nice alternative by the way guys!

nfm

I am paranoid this will happen to me now and so have various things in the boot wrapped in plastic (like Twin Peaks) for fear of the damp.

One way of spotting the source is to very lightly talc the interior and then the water will leave a trail, revealing how it has got in. Worth a try?

Good luck

conaero

Forum Owner
Thans guys, Ill take on board all possible suggestions above, but I have noticed it does not do it when the car is stationary, only when you drive it in the rain, so its going to be a tricky one.

jpmondalek

Yup, slowly eliminate one by one likely causes, to date my mechanic has "mastiked" the four screws around petrol filler neck, am going to check in detail the boot seal, and finally look at the bolt/screw apertures plus panel join just below rear window (2 of them), may need re-"mastiked"

P

On the US forum these 2 areas have been identified as the "culprits"...when I bought my car (used) the service manual book, etc. in the trunk looked like they had a swim too :(

conaero

Forum Owner
A little more news, I am definitely only getting water in when driving, so its being thrown up by the wheels. I have noticed that when you have a clutch changed they take the rear wheel tub out, this is when it started happening, as it did not do it last winter, so think that this may be the cause....so out with the tub, silicone and back in again. Ill let you know how I get on but drilling a small hole in the tub is a great idea.

Parisien

Looked in boot again today.......usual inch of water in base of bootwell.....also noticed that when you pressed on the material you could see the water trapped underneath through a little opening at the top, it would well up under pressure..........so it wasn't the petrol filler neck!!!

Must get around to doing the boot seal plus the panel joins above the boot in the very near future!!!

Watch this space!!!

P

conaero

Forum Owner
8mm drill, straight down, there is nothing below, just a heat shield made from sort of strong tin foil, job done.

urbanmaser

Matt screw going to Wembley and come to HR Owen. Mechanics will be on hand and will probably find the source of your leak plus you get to drive California and Granturismo S plus I buy you a burger at the Ace .....simples :)

RSM Masser

I have the same problem on 3200 - fish pond in boot and a very wet carpet behind drivers seat, slightly damp under pedals too, cleared a handful of old leaves and muck from under the plastic trim below windscreen (previous owner parked under trees) and pipe cleaner down the petrol filler drain hole

Will investigate all the other ideas on hear as well if leak still persists

Emtee

I have the same problem on 3200 - fish pond in boot and a very wet carpet behind drivers seat, slightly damp under pedals too, cleared a handful of old leaves and muck from under the plastic trim below windscreen (previous owner parked under trees) and pipe cleaner down the petrol filler drain hole

Will investigate all the other ideas on hear as well if leak still persists

Hi RSM, you might find this helpful....

http://www.sportsmaserati.co.uk/sho...lean-out-pollen-filter?highlight=aircon+drain

Cheers, Miles.

hunta

A little more news, I am definitely only getting water in when driving, so its being thrown up by the wheels. I have noticed that when you have a clutch changed they take the rear wheel tub out, this is when it started happening, as it did not do it last winter, so think that this may be the cause....so out with the tub, silicone and back in again. Ill let you know how I get on but drilling a small hole in the tub is a great idea.

Yup, I've had exactly this. Sealant applied to the tub fixed it once and for all.

conaero

Forum Owner
Mines dry and I did a track day in the driving rain, so mines fixed, definitely taking the tub out and siliconing it back in fixed mine.