Gransport Spigot Bearing

urbanmaser

I got a real result from Loz's advice at the Ace Cafe meeting.

Maserati UK have agreed to replace noisy worn spigot bearing under warranty;)

Also taking Loz's advice and paying for a new clutch to be fitted at the same time. I will never get a clutch replacement from a main dealer that cheap again.( it will just cost me the parts and no labour)

HR Owen tested the old clutch and found it 43% worn which I suppose is reasonable after 10,000 miles. When I bought the car it was 30% worn at 8,000 miles . That means by my mathermatics the best I can hope to get is around 14,000 miles a clutch which I suppose is reasonable around London.

For some reason Loz has asked me for the old clutch :confused: Well thats ok.......some people collect antiques, some people collect stamps and guys like Loz collect old half worn Maserati clutches.........I knew there was something strange about that guy :)

Parisien

Loz is still contemplating getting a a clutch re-faced with kevlar?

Great to get a result like that, plus dealer type warranty on work done and a huge saving!

A good guy to have around.....is our Loz!

P

conaero

Forum Owner
Great news UM, you may have a struggle getting the old clutch parts back, I did, or did not to be accurate. If Maserati UK replace the parts under warranty, they have to go back to Maserati.

Good luck with it, sounds like a right result!

urbanmaser

Great news UM, you may have a struggle getting the old clutch parts back, I did, or did not to be accurate. If Maserati UK replace the parts under warranty, they have to go back to Maserati.

Good luck with it, sounds like a right result!

Ordinarily, you would be right Conaero but they are not replacing the clutch under warranty......just the spigot bearing. I have to pay for the clutch itself. There is not much wrong with the old clutch but may as well fit a new one whilst they have it ou.

300 S

Your spot on Peter , im sure that H R Owen will hand it over , when you ask for it , after all it is yours as you will have supplied the new one as to the old spiggot bearing there'll be hanging on to that like grim death no use to me just let me know when its ready to collect and i'll pop down

regards Loz oops i mean 300 s

300 S

Soon as the GS big brake thing is sorted with A P racing they will be looking into what they can sort out with the clutch plate , not holding my hopes to high at the moment after the states thingy , but A P Racing also build and supply the clutches for F1 cars and the racing scene in general so again their tech is unsurpassed in this field , saw several being assembled when i was up there last week couldn,t believe how small they were whole assembly less than 4" in diameter and 2" thick and light as a feather simply amazing how it copes with all that torque

regards 300 s

conaero

Forum Owner
Sorry, should have digested it better, yes, if your paying for the clutch, then yes, its yours.

urbanmaser

I learned that the spigot bearing was an issue on 4200's and Gransports and the problem was not addressed by Maserati save the last few cars manufactured which had a significantly stronger bearing fitted. Maserati did not do a recall for this problem probably because as you can imagine, taking the clutch out to change a bearing which may or may not fail, would have been an extremely prohibitive cost.

Parisien

I learned that the spigot bearing was an issue on 4200's and Gransports and the problem was not addressed by Maserati save the last few cars manufactured which had a significantly stronger bearing fitted. Maserati did not do a recall for this problem probably because as you can imagine, taking the clutch out to change a bearing which may or may not fail, would have been an extremely prohibitive cost.

UM, if this is a known weakness, not fit for purpose, Maserati know theres a high chance of failure, worthwhile pressing them for a nominal sum if we change same when doing a clutch?

P

lozcb

UM, if this is a known weakness, not fit for purpose, Maserati know theres a high chance of failure, worthwhile pressing them for a nominal sum if we change same when doing a clutch?

P

Frank its only £14.80 for the spiggot bearing

tight git

regards loz

urbanmaser

If you have to do a clutch it would be insane not to change the spigot bearing knowing it has a weakness

Parisien

I note from a trawl through the invoices that came with the car that this issue also came up at 30K miles, at same time the main dealer replaced a number of other items....as well as the clutch assembly, they also had to replace both the actuator and a catalyst - the total cost came to a mind boggling £5,516 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

urbanmaser

I am praying Loz knows what he is talking about when he says don't bother with extended warranty. Some of the costs if something goes wrong are enough to make your eyes water

bigbob

What's the oldest car you reckon you can get away with on the spigot bearing replacement being paid for by Maserat?

I thought that the warranty was only two years?

lozcb

Bigbob , Maserati warranty from new is 3 years , plus its possible to buy and extended trident warranty for each and subsequent years dependant on servicing records and inspection , i believe in the US they have had a recall on the spigot bearing something they have never accepted here shows what a pushover we were

regards loz

Parisien

Bigbob , Maserati warranty from new is 3 years , plus its possible to buy and extended trident warranty for each and subsequent years dependant on servicing records and inspection , i believe in the US they have had a recall on the spigot bearing something they have never accepted here shows what a pushover we were

regards loz

Loz...a few years ago the Porsche guys in the USA highlighted a series of problems with the wiring loom of the 993 model causing engine fires, this was brought up with Porsche USA and they agreed to do a recall, the cars were 4/5/6/7 years old. Eventually they did the same in the UK, replaced the whole of the rear engine loom, two days worth of work...............loom itself cost around £600, so total cost around £1500 at the time!

So don't let it be said that customer power aint relevant......pity the spigot cost is quite small, plus you then feel duty bound to replace the clutch!

So the 3200 thing could have been a start................as we are a small in numbers, we do need to form an EU/USA alliance of types and share info and back each other up!

P

jpmondalek

FYI, response from US dealer regarding squealing, which reconfirms the above assessment and an interesting comment regarding "modifying" the clutch housing.

Hey JP…hope all is well.

It’s difficult to determine what’s causing the temp sensor issue and the startup, but the squealing noise is probably the clutch shaft bearing noise or “clutch howl” noise. There is a new pilot brg and a modification that we do to the clutch housing to prevent the bearing from spinning. We’ve had to replace a few clutch housings as well. It’s also the best time to replace the clutch.

I was talking with Benny…we should all get together for a beer when you’re in town.

Best,
Steve

Stephen Oldford
Service Manager
e-mail: soldford@ferrarine.com

Ferrari -Maserati of New England
441 Providence Hwy
Norwood, MA 02062
781-619-6970
www.ferrarine.com