Front screen misting up badly

urbanmaser

Ok when I turn on the ignition and if the fan is running I get a huge surge of condensation over the front screen which takes ages to clear once the car is started. Since it is going in for warranty service next week does anyone have any ideas what might cause that or is it normal?????????:mad:

conaero

Forum Owner
Not really sure, but mind does the same, I find its more likely caused by your hot breath on the cold screen.

Usually, if you car has misted glass when you get in it from cold, it means that you have water getting in. Ask them if they can remove the pollen filter and un block the AC drain, to the right of the brake pedal on the tunnel under the dash.

Parisien

Ok when I turn on the ignition and if the fan is running I get a huge surge of condensation over the front screen which takes ages to clear once the car is started. Since it is going in for warranty service next week does anyone have any ideas what might cause that or is it normal?????????:mad:

Urbanmaser, its invariably debris/leaves gathered at drainage points in front of screen which prevent escape of water.....needs a bit of time spent on it this weekend....;)

300 S

Is it covered by warranty???????

You lazy wotsit peter , remind me to buy you a basic tool kit and a copy of the workshop manual , definately air con related might need a top up , had this on the 4200 stopped by making sure the aircon was off before i started the the engine only turned on the aircon when the engine was warm

regards 300 s

Last edited:

urbanmaser

300S Im not lazy just totally incomepetent............I can just about change a 13 amp plug :p..............I didn't think Maserati drivers got their hands dirty until I met up with this mob

urbanmaser

confirmed by HR Owen blocked pipe .......now being sorted......10 out of 10 Conaero.........you go to top of the class :)

Emtee

Have had the same problem and have spent the last couple of weekends trying to sort it out. Leaves on the fan grill - removed. Leaves already through the grill and into the internal piping - who knows. Couldn't tell whether the fan housing was wet or dry, however I suspect wet. Pollen filter removed (was dry as was its housing), thoroughly hovered and then washed the pollen filter (would have replaced but due in to shiltech very shortly who will change it anyway, oh and I'm a cheapskate!). Thoroughly dried. Fan on full whilst filter out to try and clear the piping (some more leaves and debris out from the pollen filter housing and also into the cabin.. Drain pipe off (footwell) and drain 'vent' pipe removed and cleaned (no blockage but snipped a bit off the end to be safe). Replaced and re-seated making sure no kinks in either the pipe or 'vent' pipe. Went to the doctor to relocate my dislocated shoulder!

I have a damp cabin and probably a damp fan housing (hence the condensation only on the passenger side), which in this weather will take some time to dry out, so am expecting condensation for some days yet, but now the pollen filter is cleaned and the grill cleared the system breaths better, the screen de-mists more quickly, the fan is noticeably stronger and heat is far quicker into the cabin. No point in cabin recirculation for the moment, as it'll just recycle the damp air.

As a result I noticed.. The under wiper shield doesn't stand up well to repeated removal, well the plastic screw 'beds' don't anyway. The joints between the central shield and the two small side shields are atrocious. Probably about a cm off with the overlap completely visible on both sides. Not at all expensive on Eurospares though, so will replace in the summer. Next the lazy drivers side door window, which was meant to be last weekend's job but got delayed due to the above and two inches of snow, oh and Mrs Tee who gently reminded me I have a wife. (and Mrs Tee's best mate from Uni who was staying with us, and who I had pretty much ignored) Hey ho. gotta prioritise!

DaveT

Emtee

Did you not suggest that three of you working together could have sorted the problem in a fraction of the time!:eek:

Or maybe not.:eek:

nfm

Benefit, possibly, of indi servicing? MP Supercars not only knew about the issue (I flagged it as a service item - having read about it on line) but had a special tool for leaf extraction. Not all main stealers may provide the same service??

Cheers

urbanmaser

I will report when I eventually get my car back.......it has been in HR Owen for 10 days now having last warranty bits done........just waiting on a new horn

Emtee

Dave, You're a genius. Can't believe I didn't think of that! I could have gone into supervisory mode as well. Mind not sure I could cope with all that nattering. I'm sure they've learnt circular breathing.

urbanmaser

Emtee worth spending the time to eliminate this problem altogether. Leather is very prone to mould stains with these sort of conditions prevailing........... a damp enviroment followed by warm hot air makes a perfect breeding ground