The penny has dropped - My 75's

Supercharged16v

Been going on and on about what the heck I should do with my 75's

Got the 2.0 ltr carb one which is in need of extensive repairs, and a TS which I originally bought for parts, but was in two minds about how I should get on about and which of the 2 I would end up repairing....

So here is my current daily driver - the 2 ltr carby 75 (used to be a 1.8)

2013-04-17 08.50.15.jpg2013-05-17 11.39.52.jpg

To cut a long story short on how I got this car,

I found it at a junk yard, ready to be pressed.
It had all documents valid, but the guy who owned it took it for repairs at one garage, they took it apart, then he found the pricing high and he took the car and parts at another garage to get another estimate.
Time had passed, the old man couldnt afford the repair, the new garage had no idea how to put it back together, parts were lost, so it ended up in the junk yard, AND I BOUGHT IT :)

Changed the middle gearbox mount - well it was missing anyway - Master clutch cylinder, rebuild the carbs, fixed the propshaft and have been driving it since - about a year now

Supercharged16v

So this car has rust on the rear end, doors dont shut properly, the interior is **** - door cards falling to pieces, torn seats, hanging roof liner etc.
In addition , it doesnt have a limited slip diff like the twinny, it has some play in the steering, and the electrics could do with a complete rewiring.

The other 75 , the twinny, has a damaged rear quarter panel and someone chopped off the wiring harnesses to sell the wires.

So, putting 2 and 2 together,

I've got 3 wiring harnesses for the TS
Most of the other parts that are missing on the TS are interchangeable (lights , trim etc)
The engine was supposed to be a good one, gearbox too - a bit of a risk here
And regardless of my decision , they would both need a complete paint job.

I'm keeping the twinny ! Might even convert it to carbs at some point, but who knows :)

Finally, I got these shipped over from UK last month, which will be going on ;)

2013-10-04 11.32.59.jpg2013-10-04 11.39.17.jpg

Supercharged16v

I may have spoken too fast.....

I 've just had an offer :

There's another 1.8 carbed red 75 for sale, which has been sitting for at least 7 years on some bricks.
Apparently it starts and runs - although its extremely rough and the exhaust is hanging from the perished mounts, and needs a re-registration and whatever goes with it - MOT, paperwork, Department of Road Transport inspection, more paperwork, insurance, road tax and 150 euros for the registration.

Now I've been offered an amount from a friend of mine, to buy both my current 75's and that I could keep the front bonnet of the TS and some other minor parts that are missing from the red one, and I can go buy the red one and do what needs to be done to get it back on the road.

Why doesnt he buy the red one instead ? Because my TS is charcoal grey and he is planning on doing a fast road car project with a 2.5V6 engine, which he wants in that colour, and he doesnt want to paint the insides of the car as well.

So now I'm wondering what to do again....
Surely money wize I will not benefit in any way, because the amount I'll get will be spent on buying, repairing and registering the red one, if not more is needed.

What I'm thinking is that the red one is in better shape bodywize than my current daily driver, and it can be registered, where my TS cannot due to missing paperwork.

Decisions decisions .... :think:

conaero

Forum Owner
So many cars hey and not enough time!

Looks like fun though, stick at it, you will work it out.

Supercharged16v

I've been busting my brain for so long with this one.... now this came up !!!

hahahaha

Realistically, I'm not in the financial position to start a restoration on my 75, and it IS my daily driver, so whatever I decide it has to be with no extra spending money and without compromising my daily driver

conaero

Forum Owner
Sounds reasonable Chris. Is your climate described as DRY?

I see you have a Sud Ti so that would suggest the answer to the question is yes.

I appreciate that no rust usually means sun ravaged plastics and trim which is just as bad. I restored a Californian Opel GT, great body but just about everything else was shot due to the sun.

Supercharged16v

That sounds about right mate, although there is very high moisture in the atmosphere during the summer, so yes we get both rust and sun damage.

Surely not the amount of rust you would get in UK from all that grit in the roads, but still, usual places are usual places

Supercharged16v

That been said.....

OPERATION TWIN SPARK HAS BEGUN !

Now... this is a car which was bought at an auction in 2005.
It was bought by a guy who owned a paint shop, where he took the car to repair some dents and do a re-spray.

Little did he know, some brainless gutless hooligans broke into it, opened the front bonnet , and chopped off the wiring harness and battery, so they could sell it for scrap metal.
So the car just sat there all these years.

Meanwhile , they also stole the left side wind deflector and mirror, the wheels, centre console, some switches, badges, broke the lights, and a few other bits....

So , yesterday I went about replacing the wiring harness.
That meant getting the dashboard out of course.
This is how far I've come with it till today:

2013-11-20 07.58.50.jpg2013-11-20 07.58.55.jpg2013-11-20 07.59.02.jpg2013-11-20 07.59.33.jpg2013-11-20 07.59.44.jpg2013-11-20 07.59.52.jpg2013-11-20 08.01.02.jpg2013-11-20 08.01.40.jpg2013-11-20 08.01.46.jpg2013-11-20 08.01.50.jpg2013-11-20 08.01.59.jpg2013-11-20 08.02.11.jpg2013-11-20 08.02.19.jpg

conaero

Forum Owner
Chris, what is your day job or do you just muck around with cars all the time?....if so, I am dead jealous!

Supercharged16v

I work for a public transport company as an IT and tendering dept.....

I buy buses and fix networks and pc's . Hahaha

Cars ...well Alfas really, is my passion ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Supercharged16v

Seriously, this wiring transplant is starting to get on my nerves ....

Its going smoothly enough to say I'm making progress though !

The ECU wiring is all done, and half of the left side wiring harness.
Thanks to Pavlos who took some pictures of his for me.

If all goes according to plan, and with a few ring terminals bought, I believe I will be able to see if it starts on Saturday !

however....

Who's got the timing / spark plug cable sequences ?
I dont know what to put where !
lol

conaero

Forum Owner
I remember re wiring my 1969 Opel Gt with a new harness, ok, in '69 the cars were not so electrically based, but my install instructions were in German...it was a frustrating afternoon I can tell you.

Keep going, youll do it.

Supercharged16v

Well, found that the firing sequence is normal 1-3-4-2, and that it doesnt matter which plug goes to which coil or which dizzy as they fire at the same time, so thats settled...

I'll see if I can get some work on it this Saturday morning, hope it starts :/

.... this just occurred to me.... I never actually turned the engine to see if its not seized ... :unsure:

Can you imagine ? ahhahahahahahahahahaha

Supercharged16v

The dashboard is back on the ts. Now to connect 1 000 000 plugs and figure out what goes where...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk