Best 155 to get.

zagatoes30

I've had a 1.8 skinny one, a 2.0 twin park wide body one and driven a few V6 and the best one for me was the 2.0 twin spark late model wide body. Much better balanced than the V6 due to less weight and the 2 litre twin spark is a good engine...but go for the wide body as it was a much better car than the early ones....Lookes better to.

Can't argue with any of that.

I have had 2.0 16V TS WB, V6 NB, Silverstone, Q4 NB, Q4 WB, V6 WB, 1.8 TS 16V. The 2.0 16V was one of the best handling cars I have ever had, superb turn in, great brakes and an engine that just begged to be revved. The Q4 WB is still with me and that is a beast but not an everyday car.

Andyk

Would love a 155 as a project.....turn it into a stunning touring car rep.....The 155 was one of my all time fav racing cars ...along with the E30 M3 that is...

conaero

Forum Owner
Ok, still sounds too cheap though from a novice angle.

Do we think the 75/33 will ever start to rise, or not?

zagatoes30

75's have moved a bit especially good ones. It is the last of the real RWD Alfas and they have a reasonable chassis that can be fun without getting too dangerous

33 are still bargain as are 155 - neither have reached any real collectors status - might be because they are both FWD but the 155 particular has a really well sorted chassis and can be equally as much fun as a 75 on the road.

zagatoes30

Sprints & Suds have managed to move into collectors status, for most of us older types they were the first proper handling FWD car and as such we all remember how much of a revelation they were in the day. That and the fact they were made out of the poorest quality metal with no rust protection most of them have disappeared.

Really need to have a Sprint, it is the one 70s / 80s Alfa I have not yet owned

sebasteeno

Hello its me!

Ive owned eight 155s with 5X 2.0 16V, 2X 1.8 16V and 1X V6 and imo the 2.0 16V is the best all rounder. Lighter, nimbler, almost as fast as a V6 but miles better economy even when thrashed. The 1.8 16Vs (or Tweenys as theyre often called lol) are good too but lack that lower down grunt of the 2.0s. Tbh theyre all good and becoming uber rare and you'll love which ever one you get

conaero

Forum Owner
This was a similar debate with the TS GTV vs the V6.

TS handled like it was on rails and a fair bit lighter but you cant deny that grunt of the V6, especially the 3.2 I had.

sebasteeno

This was a similar debate with the TS GTV vs the V6.

TS handled like it was on rails and a fair bit lighter but you cant deny that grunt of the V6, especially the 3.2 I had.
3.2 and even 3.0 different kettle of fish and much better than a twinny but they weren't standard engines in the 155

Ultimate engine in a 155 for me is the Fiat 20VT lump which is astonishingly quick and highly tuneable

zagatoes30

Hello its me!

Ive owned eight 155s with 5X 2.0 16V, 2X 1.8 16V and 1X V6 and imo the 2.0 16V is the best all rounder. Lighter, nimbler, almost as fast as a V6 but miles better economy even when thrashed. The 1.8 16Vs (or Tweenys as theyre often called lol) are good too but lack that lower down grunt of the 2.0s. Tbh theyre all good and becoming uber rare and you'll love which ever one you get

OMG, time to leave, Sebs arrived :(

zagatoes30

The problem with the 20V Turbo is the amount of power you put through the FWD. They were 220BHP in standard coupe trim and are easily good for 300 plus with minimal effort. The 155 has a great chassis and the FWD system is one of the best but there is a limit to what FWD can properly handle. Yes I know the Touring cars were 300 BHP but they were specially set-up for the track and had some very trick bits in the suspension.

If you want 300BHP in a 155 you need to go 4WD, this is where the factory went with the DTM & ITC super tourers. If you don't have the £150k that these change hands for your option is to go down the Integrale based Q4 2.0 Turbo route.

Yes, I know these can be unreliable (my bank balance has lots of evidence of this) but when they are right there is no 155 that can touch them even in standard 190BHP trim, when pushed they easily out handle the TS 16V cars and the mid range acceleration leaves all the FWD cars lagging behind. A few minor tweaks and the Q4 can easily push out 250BHP or more which the 4WD chassis has no problem handling, in fact the more power the better it handles, it is something to do with the way the viscous diffs work.

I know which I think is the best 155 but most won't agree