Alfa Romeo 4C: Bridging Alfa Romeo's past and future

conaero

Forum Owner
AR_4C.jpg

The Alfa Romeo 4C is inspired by the century-old tradition of Alfa Romeo and projects the brand's authentic values into the future. Italian style, performance and engineering excellence combine to deliver maximum driving satisfaction in total safety. Indeed, the designation 4C refers to Alfa Romeo's great sporting tradition - in the 1930's and 40's the names 8C and 6C were used for cars - both racing and non - fitted with the powerful eight cylinder and innovative six cylinder engines. The 4C's design layout and construction confirms the goal of achieving the weight/power ratio of an authentic supercar (lower than 4 kg/hp) but by minimising the weight rather than increasing the maximum power supplied by the engine in order to guarantee maximum agility and optimum performance.

“Designed by Alfa Romeo engineers and manufactured at the Maserati plant in Modena, this captivating coupé with two bucket seats uses technologies and materials derived from the 8C Competizione - carbon, aluminium, rear-wheel drive - and technologies from the latest Alfa Romeo standard models currently on the market, but thoroughly developed to enhance the sports appeal of the new car to the full,†said Jack Rodencal, Managing Director of Fiat Chrysler Middle East. “This is best demonstrated by the 4C's new 1750 direct injection turbo petrol engine, aluminium block, sophisticated "Alfa TCT" twin dry clutch transmission and Alfa DNA selector with brand-new race mode.â€

The 4C's length of approximately 4m and wheelbase of less than 2.4m on one hand emphasise the car's compact features while accentuating its agility on the other. In addition, the excellent dynamic qualities of the 4C are reinforced by its weight to power ratio of less than 4 kg/hp - a value worthy of a real supercar. This vehicle quite simply screams Alfa - its sports car soul creates a unique driving sensation, both on the road and when racing, where its speed and transverse acceleration become even more apparent.

The 'Alfa of Alfas'
Designed by Alfa Romeo's Centro Stile, the 4C model immediately brings to mind some iconic classic models that have left an important mark on the brand's history. Today they are all revived in the new compact supercar that is truly "The Alfa of Alfas."One of the reference models in terms of dimensional and layout similarities is definitely the 1967 33 Stradale, a very elegant vehicle with vertical-opening doors and quite possibly the most beautiful coupé of all time. This vehicle blended extreme mechanical and functional needs with an essential style, the engine and chassis featuring unmistakably Alfa Romeo treatments.

That same quest for the essential has also been used to design one of the lightest cars in the world - a true race against weight that led to the right mix of lightness and efficiency through the use of new solutions and materials and meticulously developed state-of-the-art technologies inspired by Formula 1 and the aeronautics industry.
This same combination of lightness and efficiency was also at the heart of some unforgettable Alfa Romeos developed in the past, such as the 1938 8C 2900 B Touring, a memorable Le Mans protagonist with its aluminium body, or 1952 1900 C52 "Flying Saucer," which could reach 230kmh and weighed just 760 kg. With the captivating 4C, the Alfa Romeo brand also demonstrates its approach to technology, just as it did with the 2010 Giulietta (the first vehicle ever to develop and adopt TCT transmission) and its interpretation of dynamism (as it did with the 2007 8C Competizione, the fastest road car ever manufactured by Alfa Romeo, produced in a limited series of only 500).

Today the values of lightness, efficiency, Italian style, technology and dynamism are blended in the new Alfa Romeo 4C, a genuine but affordable sports car, a technologically advanced and captivating supercar that offers precision, agility and performance. In short, a car worth driving, enjoyable on the road and on the racing tracks just like any Alfa Romeo car should be - this is a distinguishing trait of an historical brand that continues to be one of the most famous and appreciated ambassadors of “Made in Italy†worldwide.

Source: http://www.arabianbusiness.com/alfa...romeo-s-past-future-527220.html?#.Uo35txa8FUM

smiffy

Don't think it's the most beautiful car.
And to be fair I can't see what all the fuss is about.
Is it because it's the latest Alfa out? I know I'm gonna get some haters but there's other cars I would have

smiffy

I was being sarcastic lol, the music is shite, and the 4c brick??

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

vantastic

I just seen a 4C in real at the weekend, it looked **** inside.and the lights up front ............... sorry but if I had the money it would not be spent on that, no offence and sure it is a good car but not for me

lisknik

I like it, apart from the limited edition headlights, but i think that is just me, my taste in cars has gone back to enjoying basic drivers cars, none of the fancy fully loaded teched up cars you can get nowadays, can apriciate them, but for the time being not for me :) (flip i really am having a midlife crisis!!)

M

Mista Smiff

I like it, apart from the limited edition headlights, but i think that is just me, my taste in cars has gone back to enjoying basic drivers cars, none of the fancy fully loaded teched up cars you can get nowadays, can apriciate them, but for the time being not for me :) (flip i really am having a midlife crisis!!)

Old Age?:lol2:

M

Mista Smiff

4c or 8c??? That is the question......

This???Thumbnail.jpg

Or this??alfa-romeo-8cinside-the-alfa-romeo-8c-competizione-cnet-uk-uuvfuh2q.jpg

Personally, there is no question, That V8 noise is all the convincing I need. The 4c is certainly lo spirito di Alfa, and it is a techno marvel, it's even moderately pretty, but basically it's a girls car. If you must, a car for new men, it probably comes fitted with a matching manbag!

The 8c is pure Hairy impegniamo macho Italiano!!!:thumb3:

conaero

Forum Owner
As you say, no contest, 8C all the way.

The 4C is nice but I just can't get over the price for the engine out a hatchback.

Drop in an Arese V6 then your talking.

M

Mista Smiff

Oh aye, no question at all. If I won that elusive big lotto win, I would have a stable of 'em! you can keep your Fewarwis and yer Lambowotnots, and I'm sorry to say even yer masserriotous...........

The 8c has it all in spades, well ok, all that I would ever want anyway.:cool: Of course I would require a Bentley R type for times when more civilised transportation was required. After the R type Bentleys went to large and floppy.

M

Mista Smiff

A nice Desk top for you out of the goodness of my heart.......alfa-romeo-8c.jpg

Van will like as not have moan cos it aint black!;)

LJ_GQV

They look better in white than red i think. Saw a white 1 crash on friday. Seen a few people complaining they can't open the 'bonnet' but from what i could see it would be like asking to take the front wing off any other car as theres nothing under it & no space for anything anyway.

M

Mista Smiff

Well you are entitled to your view, personally I prefer the red for nearly all Alfas, I like that dark red for the vintage 30s Alfas, and the bright red for the more modern stuff. I kind of stumbled on to my Zoe yellow spider, and it took a while but I kind of like it now. Bottom line of course is it's all down to personal preference innit, it wouldn't do for us all to like the same things.:smile: