Alfa to Maserati

conaero

Forum Owner
Well, seeing as nobody has posted in this forum I thought I should start.

Most of you know I have a real passion for both Alfa and Maserati and I will say I am a Maserati man now but do still lust after a GTV P3 3.2....great car.

So come on then, lets hear from you Alfa lot what you think about Maserati, would you like to get into one or is there a reason why you don't?

Here are some of my past masters:

Maserati GranSport - probably the best of the bunch

IMG_1219.jpg

Maserati 3200 - nut mobile but robs you of every penny you have

06.jpg

Maserati Spyder - Great fun and inexpensive, cheap to run but they do suffer from bad scuttle shake

IMG_1589.jpg

Maserati GranTurismo S 4.7 MC Shift - Still quite expensive and expensive to run but a great sound and power albeit a bit on the large size

01.jpg

Last edited:

Shant Ole

Maserati - Great cars. I would love to have one though i dont think i will ever do. The good thing though is that you can find cheap ones if you compare them with Ferraris.

The new Ghibli is a fantastic car :thumb1:

But i have to admit for me the best car ever and my dream car is Ferrari. I just love them and nothing will ever replace the soul, passion and character of the brand to me

conaero

Forum Owner
Interesting to hear but its a misconception that they are expensive.

If I were entering the Maserati market for the first time a 03/04 4200 can be had for around £10k and are very, very reliable if you get one that has been well looked after. Make sure you go for the CambioCorsa gearbox (flappy paddle) the only downside is the clutches, they can go bang and cost £1800 to replace and its not really a job you can do yourself.

lisknik

I would love a masser :) probably over a Ferrari or anything else, one day when I can afford it........... :)

Supercharged16v

Ok Mr. Matt !!!

Here we go then ....

Maserati Bi-Turbo - Love the looks, dont want to have to deal with the cylinder head issues and overheating, although the 2.8 is massive in power

3200 GT - Worked on one, totally agree that its a money pit, after all the trouble it caused me finding parts for it, I started disliking the looks of it as well (biased) :p and it wasnt even mine !!!

4200 - not much of a looker, too much luxury for my likes

Grand Turismo - **** YEAH !!!!! Now THATS a proper Maserati. That one I wouldnt care about how much I'd spend on it, as long as I could afford it.

Now...

Rules and regulations for small countries such as Cyprus...

Newly imported cars will be taxed at customs according to age, type and emissions.
So a 5 year old Grand Turismo S, would cost you about .....
hang on... got the formula of the government here....

4690 cc
on 331gr co emissions
and 2010 model,

comes to a STAGGERING 32,021.27 Euros

Yes, thats the customs tax ONLY

Then you need to pay for the registration and road tax
Registration beginning 1st of January 2014 will also be based on emissions,

That been said, there's a standard 150 euro for the registration, BUT road tax, if a car emissions is over 150gr, then it will cost you 8 Euros per gram.
Which brings the Grand Turismo S to a road tax of ....

wait for it.......

2648 Euros PER YEAR

So, to put it plain and simple:

if you give me your Grand Turismo AS A GIFT, and if you even pay for SHIPPING,
it will cost me...
34,819.27 Euros to register it and run it for a year (without calculating insurance),

and then 2648 Euros per year for road tax :)

Need I say more ??

conaero

Forum Owner
Mental....ok you have the weather but we have the GT's....tough call.

Could you not just have it registered in another company under that contries residents name and just ship it over and leave it there?

Supercharged16v

You are allowed to do that for 6 months. After that the car goes into a bonded warehouse till you pay the above. Otherwise they will auction the car in two years and scrap it if it doent sell at auction

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Shant Ole

I dont like the new regulations :(

Im happy i bought my Abarth on time. If i bought it next year then i would pay 150 euros road tax rather than 40. Big difference.

And thats only for my car which is a 1.4lt. Nobody will buy big cars anymore

Shant Ole

Everyone who wants to buy a car nowadays in Cyprus buys Mercedes and BMW. You see them everywhere. Now though with these regulations coming up no one will ever buy any of them anymore and all the cars will be worth pennies as they will not have any demand

Supercharged16v

What you CAN do, if you have the @@@@, is get for example an old 1.8 Alfa - say the 75 -

Then bring a 3ltr one's front end from UK - if you can find one , and preferably with the 24v engine of the 164 -

Then do a transplant, and keep your chassis number of the 1.8 and number plates.

This , you can do if you have someone very close to you at an MOT station, who will look the other way.

As for the coppers, 99.9% of them cant tell the difference between a 3 ltr 24v engine and a cow.

So you keep paying road taxes as a 1.8 but you drive a 3.0 ;)

Illegal ? ONLY IF THEY CATCH YOU !!!!

Supercharged16v

But what I just said, is only hypothetical, more like science fiction really....

Something like this would never happen in real life .....

:unsure:

GhostyDog

I've fancied a Maserati for a long time, hoping to swap my XF for a GT by the time I'm 40 but if they don't come down in price I might find myself in a XF-R instead, or something AMG

CPE

I love Maserati's too, but have never owned one. I did think seriously about buying a GT recently, but went for the 4C instead.

One day I will own one, I think they are gorgeous inside and out and sound epic.

I like the XFR too.

conaero

Forum Owner
When does your 4C arrive Colin?

Must admit I had a deposit down on one but bottled it as I thought it was going to be a let down like so many launch Alfas. Looks like I was wrong, d@mn it!

CPE

I haven't had any delivery update yet, the provisional date given was Dec15th (with a 150 day leeway clause), but Alfa are running late. I received a letter about 3 weeks ago to say as much, with the promise of a new date to follow soon.

A new model is always a tricky thing. It's always better to hang on and see the bugs ironed out, but the 4C concept grabbed me (by the sensibilities :capricorn:) when it first appeared and I knew I wanted one if it was to become reality. I went to Geneva back in March to see it when it was officially launched.