Alfa to Maserati

GhostyDog

I kind of wish if bought a GranSport. 5 years ago, but I bought a GTA instead, GS prices have been rick solid for years

conaero

Forum Owner
Yes they have in fact they are rising again...typical as I am trying to buy one at the moment!

vantastic

Give it a go Van, if you buy right you wont loose much money if any if its a brief encounter.

They do take time to sell.

The 3200 is brutal but its also very unreliable, the 4200 is more linear but bullet proof, just go for the flappy paddle gearbox (CC) and make sure the clutch is new is.

If I get another GranSport and we meet up at an event, your welcome to have a go.

Bloody ****, just been looking into whats what and seen this

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...ati-coupe-v8-gt------------------2003/1867069

alfatwo

That sounds a good buy Van...you usually have to spend a couple of grand knocking them into shape,if you think Masers are expensive to maintain check out our cousins in Maranello!

Dave

vantastic

I spent a few hours looking into the history and the price of whats around and getting sucked into looking at a 4.2 as a good usable super car

conaero

Forum Owner
do 3.2 lights fit the 4.2?

Can be done yes, but you have to get hold of the lights which are very hard to come by......you can see I have been busy...the shelf at work, just need the GranSport now:

IMG_1784.jpg

The end result:

5767882287_1979a1460f_b.jpg

conaero

Forum Owner
Van, its easiest to get a 3200 boot and paint and bolt it on.

The arc of the boomerang and the 4200 light is the same so you have to do a little fabrication on the rear end of the quarter only then you can paint the rear only and loose the blend easily.

The most tricky part is the wiring. I have not done it myself as yet but speaking to a guy in Holland, its tricky as the LED units use transformers (see in the pic of my shelf under the right hand boomerang)

There is one transformer for each side.

As well as what is on the shelf, I have a complete 3200 boot and both the rear quarters cut about a foot down the wing as you need the mounting brackets for the LED's

The pic of the blue one above has a carbon spoiler fitted which ruins it if you ask me.

Last edited:

allandwf

Had my 3200 almost 2 years, hasn't bit me yet, (touch wood.) Recognise the fragility comments, but coming from TVRs, not nearly as bad. Also had 4 previous Alfas. Other than an errant oil pressure sender,and if you see inside the sender unit it's no wonder, my 3200 has been very reliable, .

zagatoes30

Van, I am impressed how good 4200 are as every day cars and mine is a Spyder. It has hardly stopped since I bought it and every time it makes me smile when I get in it.

Yes it will be more costly than an Alfa to run but he there is always a downside. Oh and don;t even think about fuel economy, just fill it up and enjoy the experience.

Last edited: