Car of the Month - February 2014

Supercharged16v

This months car of honor is Nikolas's Alfasud Super !

Congrats to Nikolas :)

Waiting for you to post some pictures of your beauty here and the story of the car so far :numberone:

Alfasud1978

Alfasud Super 1978 Series 2

My little Alfasud was purchased brand new by my father in September 1978 for CY£3.750 to replace his 1970 Giulia 1300Ti. It's a Series 2 with a 1286cc engine, has a single choke Dellorto carb (wow!) and produces a phenomenal 68 bhp. Even though it's kerb weight is just 860kg, it has disc brakes all round and a twin circuit at the front, it has a 5-speed gearbox, a rev counter, an adjustable steering wheel and even child locks for the rear doors. A real sports family car of the 70's!

Driving an Alfasud is a different experience all together. The little flat four engine is a free revving one and produces a fantastic sound, inside and outside the car. The car's road holding is so good that you can easily follow more powerful cars in twisty roads. There's space for 5 adults and it has a generous square boot of 400lt. A spacious boot even by today's standards.

The car's early life could be considered for some as miserable. Why? Well my brother and I were driving it when we were teenagers. I remember once driving from Lythrodontas village to Macheras/Kambia camping area through the forest/loose road and the oil pressure light all of a sudden came to life. A couple of stones perforated the oil sump in a way never seen before.

The car has today just 89 thousand miles on the clock and the last decade or so, it is driven with extreme care.......the rev counter needle never exceeds 5500rpm!! Engine and gearbox are filled with the best stuff around for maximum protection, Kendall oils. Suspension bushes were upgraded with polyurethane ones and the distributor contact points were upgraded to magnetic ones for better reliability and efficiency. As far as I know, this is the only Series 2 (stainless steel bumper) surviving Alfasud in Cyprus.

The kids love it and as it can be driven with ease in today's traffic, I regularly take them to school in it and to their afternoon activities. Of course how can I forget the Club's excursions. We try never to miss a trip in our favourite Alfa Romeo with a «Cuore Sportivo»!!

Attachments

• Alfasud 1.jpg
    Alfasud 1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Alfasud 2.jpg
    Alfasud 2.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Alfasud 3.jpg
    Alfasud 3.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Alfasud 4.jpg
    Alfasud 4.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Alfasud 5.jpg
    Alfasud 5.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Alfasud 6.jpg
    Alfasud 6.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Alfasud 7.jpg
    Alfasud 7.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Alfasud 8.jpg
    Alfasud 8.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Alfasud 9.jpg
    Alfasud 9.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Alfasud 10.jpg
    Alfasud 10.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Alfasud 11.jpg
    Alfasud 11.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 11

SquadraCorse

Very nice car and thank God Cyprus still has at least one survivor of this era. This comes to show that with love and care, even a "badly constructed" brilliant design can survive through the decades. Keep up Nikolas! :goodjob:

Pavlos

Nice.... A big smile comes to my face when I see yr car. This one plus the Yellow TI of Maratheftis at HTI were the ones that inspired my first Alfasud purchase (the red KN514) back in 1983... And got stuck to them eversince... :excellent:

Alfasud1978

Nice.... A big smile comes to my face when I see yr car. This one plus the Yellow TI of Maratheftis at HTI were the ones that inspired my first Alfasud purchase (the red KN514) back in 1983... And got stuck to them eversince... :excellent:

Thanks Pavlos. Yes I remember Michalakis Ti.