3.0 Head Gaskets

allandwf

Is there a recommended/best head gasket for the 3.0 V6 ? I bought a 2000 car that required work as a project. Just doing my homework prior starting in a few months time. The car had overheated, oil contaminated, so will be getting heads checked etc. Brakes need sorting and a few wee niggles but overall quite good.

smiffy

Personally I'll go with OE gaskets. I don't think that year had problems with the rear bank HG failure.
You can buy a whole gasket set iirc which might be better. Includes trumpet gaskets, HG gaskets and cam cover gaskets.

If you check on eper you should get all the part numbers

allandwf

Ours are 7 and 8 years now, I think I have a pic of the eldest at a few months in the back of my original 3.0 GTV. Will try and find it tomorrow.

smiffy

Little git :lol:
vatetumu.jpg

Smaky

Get the hed gasket SET from AlternativeAutos, it's the cheapest place for the OEM ones, the only other ones I trust are BGA and I rebuild about 20 of these engines a year.

Chris155

BGA (cheap and not that great in terms of quality but does the job), OE or Victor Reinz.

I'd get a head gasket set personally and regrind the valves. You may wish to note that if you turn the crank with the heads off you'll disturb the liner seals which will then need to be replaced. - Alfa part only.

allandwf

Thanks for that,( didn't realise that,) hope to get it all lined up prior to removal, and all going well, no need to turn again until back together.