3200GT. Talk to me

Gaz

Read some terrifying moneypit claims. Really that bad? I dont mind tinkering a bit

Known weak points? I can live with clutches and cambelts as long as the internals are pretty resilient and it doesnt mash diffs every month

I know nothing of these cars apart from specs and that the interior looks lovely. My TVR dream is getting further and further away so i am looking at alternatives

lisknik

I somehow could see you in a masser Gaz. I'm sure one of the SM lot will be along to point you in the tight direction with one :)

allandwf

Had mine two years, other than a wayward oil sender, ( common fault,) it has been superb. I got mine AFTER a 4.2 Cerbera and a 4.0 Mk1 Tuscan. It is highly addictive especially when those turbos kick in. It wont be any cheaper than a TVR though. They need used, and looked after.Don't buy a dog or it could bankrupt you, and spend £250 or so on an inspection, there are a few neglected examples out there. So if it's a cheaper alternative your looking for then that it's not. Servicing costs also on par with the TVRs.

Gaz

I did do a bit of digging last night and the 4200 seems a lot better in terms of reliability, also a bit more expensive too. Hmm, we shall see

I don't mind servicing costs and that, they are expected with any car. What i would be truly terrified of is it needing a months salary every month in repairs and replacement parts. As i said i am a bit of a tinkerer though. What are the turbos like for being reliable?

I had my eyes on a Cerbera, would prefer a V8 but would 'settle' for a S6 i suppose. They are rocketing in value now though. Ever get the feeling you wish you had bought when you had the chance? :(

Gaz

I did spy a very tasty looking 4200 Cambiocorsa (i think? I know very little about Maserati at the mo) Quite tempted to take a look

Never considered a Maser before, its all a bit scary

allandwf

The early 4200's and the 3200, ( good ones,) are probably on a par price wise now. Turbos are reliable, main issue with the GT was crank endfloat, which if left would destroy the engine. This manifested itself as a dip in pressure when clutch depressed, then leads to knocking , and rebuild time. It seems to manifest itself around the 20k-25k mileage, so if its not happened yet probably wont, it was attributed to dodgy or mis assembled thrust washers. ( If its not manifested itself yet then probably wont a bit like the early Cerbs snapping cranks.) The 3200 can also suffer electrical gremlins MIL lights etc, usually through lack of use. A good 3200 will be double figures, I would be wary of one, at say , 7-9k, it will probably need a cam belt change, its every three years , but could still be good so as mentioned independenrt inspection a must. In my opinion the 3200 will not drop much more, but I believe the early 4200 will. The 3200 with the turbos, and manual, is strangely like the Cerb was, quite a handful but in a good way.

Gaz

You are saying all the right things :)

I'll dig a bit more and if anyone else wants to tempt me into a 3200/4200 feel free. No cabrios though

alfatwo

cb7862892069.jpgd037c37129ab.jpgHere's mine....Ive had it for 3 years never had any trouble,total hooligan weekender or a gentle drive down to the South of France at 140+ 332579e624f1.jpg

Dave

conaero

Forum Owner
Well, been through the entire range from 2001, first a 3200, then a GranSport, then a GranTurismo S then a Spyder then back to a GranSport as pound for pound they are the best of the bunch.

3200, hum, where do I start. Great car, never forget picking it up in 2006, felt like a superstar driving it round, loads of looks and that turbo whoooooos, blimey!

Unfortunately, the fun did not last long. Clutch collapsed, shocks and whishbones failed, and a myriad of other niggles, then the biggey, endfload!

Engine out and strip down at £3k and 35k miles. It would have been twice that if it were not for me removing and refitting the engine myself.

If your going to buy one get it checked out....I did not and paid the price.

Gaz

Good on its day, you'll want to set fire to it on an off day?

Its the engine repair bills that scare the bejesus out of me. I can live with, and almost expect the other stuff like clutches. I wouldnt mind tackling that myself

To throw a spanner in the works, can i put the 4200 in the mix as well?

Gaz

That interior does look a very lovely place to be though. I could move in there and live quite happily

lisknik

Gas I think you need to get a few owners at Brookland's to show you their cars in detail ;)

conaero

Forum Owner
To throw a spanner in the works, can i put the 4200 in the mix as well?

GranSport is the best of the bunch but a late (2004 onwards) are good too.

The LE (full leather and xenons) spec still command upwards of £25k but you can get a leggy half leather technocloth example for as low as late teens.

Gaz

No Spyders, sorry and can't stretch to a GranSport, which is a shame

Brooklands is a great shout, Nick. That is unless i have chickened out and gone for a Cerbera

Its nice to finally get an initially very long shortlist down to 2 though

Maser Sod

I echo much of what Matt says. I didn't have the scary end-float issue, but I did get fed up with the CEL light coming on all the time and occasionally knocking out the turbos (Limp Mode - it's meant to do this to 'protect' you).

Watch out for rust also, as these cars are getting a little long in the tooth. Mine was starting to bubble around the wheel arches, and that was on a 6 year old car.

Bags of fun though, the 3200GT, and so glad I owned one.

I would have another in a heartbeat if I knew the owner and they told me hand on heart that they had experienced very few issues with it. But I would not buy one under other circumstances (but that's just me!)

HTH

Gaz

I'll get there early and bug every 3200 owner i see coming in :D

Probably the wrong thing to say, but the one on Wheeler Dealers this week was a pretty tasty looking thing and the work Edd had to do to it didnt put me off them at all. I know he didnt have to rebuild the lump, change a clutch or do a belt change but most of the niggly jobs seem to be very similar to stuff i already have experience of with the Gtv

Nope, they are still very much on my radar. In fact it has probably overtaken the Cerbera. And thats something i thought i would never say

See you all in a few weeks at Brooklands :)