Looking back at the Alfa Romeo 156

Maser Sod

I soooo wanted a 156 back in my early 30's. I used to pass a lovely one with a mahogany steering wheel on my daily walk to Redland railway station.

Sopranofan

Nick, thank you. Recently thinking of trying to get genned up about 156. I hear talk among the purists that Alfas younger than 75s are just Fiats. Aside from part of the under structure, surely 156s deserve a better rep?

conaero

Forum Owner
Great cars.

I remember my first drive of one, in Italy in 99, it was a silver 2.0TS and I was driving a 2.0TS P2 GTV at the time.

The GTV felt faster but the 156's turn in on those mountain snake roads was to die for, it just glided round.

So, in 2006, I bought a 8TS SportWagon for the wife. It was a great car. Unfortunately the cambelt went at 75k miles due to believing the word of the guy I bought it from, an Alfa main dealer mechanic, that it had been done. Mike Roberts traced the part numbers back and it was produced the same year of production, so never trust an Alfa mech!

Brilliant car and still miss it, it was a bronze metallic black. Looked black in normal light but at sunset the thing would glow orange, it was beautiful.

11.jpg

02.jpg

07.jpg

06.jpg

01.jpg

05.jpg

04.jpg

08.jpg

03.jpg

10.jpg

09.jpg

2b1ask1

Special case
I think most would cry to see the state this one is in right now, mud all over the inside and out, still got all the snails in the engine bay from its time in Duncan's garden and a mileage screaming up!

Failed its MOT today on the back box and a shredded rear tyre (not good). Still it is a work horse and is holding up well. Needed anothe 2 litres of oil again (only 600 miles since last fill).

Agree with the sticking to the road Matt yes it is good handling, many knocks and bangs, squeaks and rattles on the suspension, bottoms out at every opportunity and wallows but somehow gets where you want it. It is by far the easiest car to drive.

2b1ask1

Special case
Rear tyre replaced today, the old one was indeed shredded, the inside edge was through three layers of canvas! Had had a slow puncture for a couple of months and I guess I have driven it at speed under inflated so my bad!

Just ordered a new back box £67 delivered Friday so can't complain, I can pick up the MOT pass on Monday morning so no problem.