Alfa 3.0 GTV Engine

allandwf

I've not dropped mine yet, but concensus seems to be out the bottom, with gearbox attached.

Chris155

Your gtv is a cf2 and the engine you have bought is a cf3. There are a number of differences, notably;

a) The knock sensors. The cf2 uses 3 wire knock sensors where the cf3 uses 2 wire. Obviously the plugs are different... You can only realistically access the sensor nearest the flywheel with the engine out of the car. So swap them over when you have the engine out - they're under the pipe between the stat and the water pump. They also have a torque setting iirc.

b) The crank sensor is different but easily swapped.

c) The wiring harness is different, obviously. Use the cf2 engine loom.

d) The injectors and fuel rails are different. For the sake of simplicity I would suggest you use the cf2 injectors and fuel rails. You can make the cf3 versions work though.

e) As you have already identified, the oil breathers, cam covers and plenum are different. You can lob the cf2 gubbins on to the 3.0 engine but I would make some mods and use the cf3 set up as it allows you to ditch the oil breather gubbins on the back of the cf2 manifold making the engine much easier to work on in the long term.

f) the lower half of the thermostat body is different. Cf3s use one temp sender where the cf2's have two.

g) exhaust manifolds are obviously different.

Posting from memory, probably forgotten something.

Chris155

I've not dropped mine yet, but concensus seems to be out the bottom, with gearbox attached.

Definitely the easiest way. I don't have much experience with GTV's but I had to remove the subframe and radiator to get the engine out last time around. It could be that I had the engine crane set up wrong or just that I was working in a confine space and it may be possible to get it out without doing so. But I would suggest you do drop the subframe out of the way just for ease of access.

Chris155

Oh as a final point, the engine mounting points appear to be different in your pics. I think the engine you have bought has come out of a 166?

To swap the engine mount you'll need to remove the cam belt.

With it being from a 166 you'll also need to swap the mid shaft carrier (oil filter/cooler sandwich plate), which will require a new gasket.

allandwf

Thank you very much for that :) I need to figure out which plenums to use so I can get them cleaned up and repainted. Its times like this when these forums are invaluable.

allandwf

Oh as a final point, the engine mounting points appear to be different in your pics. I think the engine you have bought has come out of a 166?

To swap the engine mount you'll need to remove the cam belt.
Yes it did, I checked the Engine No. I am also changing the belt so not to much of a problem.

smiffy

Someone did a 3.0 conversion and it was a pita if I remember correctly. Save your money and uprate your 2.5

allandwf

I dropped my AC off for a service, and one of the garages courtesy cars is a 156 wit a 3.0 fitted, allegedly the one everyone asks for!

Chris155

Theyre different to the gta's, they have sooooo much torque low down. Makes them good fun and 1st gear redundant...

Chris155

Re the oil breathers, these pics are from 2006, when I first did a cf3 into a cf2. The thread I had running has gone but I hope you find the pics useful.

I used the cf3 cam covers, and a cf2 plenum. Thinking about it, I can't remember why. It may have been because I didn't want to use a plenum with Gta written on it rather than there being a specific issue.

My original though still stands though, it's worthwhile using the cf3 set up as it allows you to ditch the pita breather setup on the back of the cf2 plenum.

allandwf

Thanks for the pics. Well I made a start today, drained the oil, safe to say it's seen better days!
DSC_1566.jpg

Smaky

A lot of misguiding advice in this thread, having done a few of these conversions and knowing the engines inside out I'd happily run a 3.0 in a 156 and ideally in CF2 form with the oil separator still on the back of the plenum, Also keep the gearbox with the engine as 3.0 and 2.5 have slightly different ratios and to keep the best economy you want the taller gearing.

allandwf

Getting ready to remove the engine, out the bottom easiest? Hight may be an issue as the garage has a lowish crossmember. Still undecided if I will drop the CF3 in, or have the heads done on the CF2 once I figure out why it overheated and blew the head gasket(s.)