Alfa 3.0 GTV Engine

allandwf

Some of you may know I bought a 3.0 GTV with blown head gasket. Been slowly picking up a few bits and pieces of trim and brake parts that needed doing, but now getting down to the engine. I'm in a bit of a dilema, unsure if I should go the uprate route or leave as standard. It does have a nice exhaust and some fancy induction and was putting out about 240 bhp. The car will be a keeper, just unsure best route to go.

Smaky

Keep it as close to standard as possible, that way the looks, the running costs and parts availability will remain better and 240Bhp, I doubt very much.

Smaky

I could make a printout like that if I made up the correction figures too. Don't trust a guestimate printout, a real dyno is done on a test bed at the flywheel.

allandwf

Few more parts collected, low(er) replacement engine, intend to clean, replace timing belt, water pump etc. Then get it all looking ***** and span.Should be easier with it out of the car. Cam locking and tensioner kit. Get engine changed out then investigate the overheated one, and see why. Couple of pristine door cards also obtained as mine were holed where the seatbelt catches them, needed to remove them anyways as the drivers door latch sometimes doesn't open the door!

vantastic

I used a small washer, cut a slit in it and slid it behind were the handle leavers, you will know what I mean when you look

allandwf

Yes, that's the plan, get the covers blasted and painted, clean or rechrome the tubes, and clean and paint anything else required. Will take the chance to clean and tidy the engine bay, subframe etc. before replacement. Vantastic, thanks for tip re washer, will maybe give it a go this time back time permitting.

allandwf

Manhandled replacement lump into garage, 80k miles so should be good for a few more yet, will get it cleaned up, change belt, water pump, alternator as recommended while it's out, and swap over ancilliarys. DSC_1547.jpgDSC_1550.jpg

allandwf

Started looking over engines today, noticed some subtle differences, plenum being one. "New" engine has three pipes after Throttle body, original has none.DSC_1460.jpg

Confusing as engine came from a 1998 car.

lisknik

Any idea what year the car the new engine came out of? What i am really asking is it a CF2 or CF3 engine? Where be Smaky when you need him ;)

lisknik

Mine is a CF2 and it be a year 2000, sent Smaky a FB message he will be able to tell you the differences and what to do, my knowledge ain't great enough :)

allandwf

Update, it came out a 53 plate car with 75k, so makes sense now :) Yes mine is a 2000 CF2 also. Intend to swap over all my bits and bobs , after doing belts etc. so should be ok.

conaero

Forum Owner
I only have one criticism of that Arese engine, they do seem to tarnish badly.

Ok, its not that important but you have to keep on top of it to make it looks its best.

First thing that seems to go are the rocker covers, closely followed by the chromed flutes and the fuel rail.

Alan, I am thinking about buying a 3.2 GTV which needs lots of jobs doing on it, cam belt, water pump, Q2 plus a good wash and brush up and was thinking of pulling the engine and doing it all on the bench.

Can you give me a quick rundown of what is the best way to get the V6 out?

With/without gearbox, through the top or drop from below, with or without subframe and suspension????

I do have a lift in my garage that will allow me to raise the car 1200mm off the ground as well as an engine crane.