Evening all

Grinzzz

Just joining from another of the sportsitalia forums. Currently without a car as i can't make up my mind what i want next. Never really into alfas but having seen a few at llandow I've become a little interested, but otherwise know nothing of them. So basically here to be educated!

Basically looking for something that is pretty handy on track but liveable with on the road. Something that can take a bit of tinkering; i especially like playing with suspension for some odd reason. My heart tells me to look at v6's and from my limited knowledge sounds like I'm after a GTV V6. Never had a wrong wheel drive car before so going to be a bit of a learning curve for me! :)

All help gratefully received!

Cheers
Andy

lisknik

Welcome to the other side Andy, and there be a car i have photographed before ;)

The busso V6 is one of the best you can get, if you can get the 3.2, only available in the face lift GTV, and the 147GTA, and 156GTA. Avoid the later V6's in the 159, Brera etc etc, not as good as the busso, and heavier cars :)

Keep us updated on the search :)

smiffy

As nick said the 3.2 only came in the facelift gtv, but they are rare. The 147 and 156 gta are both 3.2 but are not as nimble as a gtv imo. You can pick up 3.0 Gtvs quite cheap now and turn it into a fast road/track car. I think most people are putting gta cams in the 3.0 to give more performance.
The later gm unit isn't as pretty to look at and the cars that have that engine are heavier I belive. I would have a gtv if I didn't have 2 kids lol, ideally a nice cup :)

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Grinzzz

That cars a hard act to follow! Always stayed clear of high horsepower and generally gone for lightweight cars that handle well. That beasty was a bit of an eye-opener! I really hope they release a new sport oriented car with the looks of the GT but even better handling than the GS. Still I was a lot of fun trying to get that to out handle an elise :)

Thanks for the info - I'd forgotten that they stuck the V6 in the 147. Might be a pretty good track car that being a little lighter. Whats the general consensus on 147, GTV and 156 on the track, or am i just opening the usual can of worms with that question? :)

Grinzzz

As nick said the 3.2 only came in the facelift gtv, but they are rare. The 147 and 156 gta are both 3.2 but are not as nimble as a gtv imo. You can pick up 3.0 Gtvs quite cheap now and turn it into a fast road/track car. I think most people are putting gta cams in the 3.0 to give more performance.
The later gm unit isn't as pretty to look at and the cars that have that engine are heavier I belive. I would have a gtv if I didn't have 2 kids lol, ideally a nice cup :)

I think someone took a 3-3.2 ltr GTV to llandow one time when I was there. Thats what clued me into those in the first place, it did appear to handle the corners much better than I expected. Cheers for the info.

On the cup is it just bodywork and styling changes or is there something more fundamental (sorry also poked my nose in on a cup thread and asked this - will have to check to see if theres an answer!).

lisknik

Handling wise i would say the GTV, seems better balanced, seen both GTA's on track and i would actually say it is pretty even, though i will probably get shot now ;)

Grinzzz

Handling wise i would say the GTV, seems better balanced, seen both GTA's on track and i would actually say it is pretty even, though i will probably get shot now ;)
Interesting to compare the specs of the three. Same engine, different weights, same 0-60 time - if I trust wiki of course :)

smiffy

I wouldn't supercharge it, I think the 3.2 is as far as the busso can go. If you do don't just bolt one on, do everything else that will be needed, oil pick up, map, air intake pipes, cams, injectors. Strip a 3.0 gtv out for a quick track/road car

Grinzzz

I wouldn't supercharge it, I think the 3.2 is as far as the busso can go. If you do don't just bolt one on, do everything else that will be needed, oil pick up, map, air intake pipes, cams, injectors. Strip a 3.0 gtv out for a quick track/road car

Dont worry, more of a comment to make Matts hair (what remains of it) raise than a real plan. I tend to leave engines to other people, my area of playing with cars lies with suspension more than anything else. Plus I have a bit of a hatred for anything other than NA.

Although I do keep looking at my daughters C1 and wondering just how good it could be with a turbo and some suspension mods :)

Grinzzz

One last quick question on the V6 - how do they handle the miles, assuming (big assumption I know) that servicing has been done more or less ok? Any particular mileage they start to feel worn at?

smiffy

Ah yes forgot about the Gt
My 156 gta has done approx 130k still pulls strong tbh

Grinzzz

Ah yes forgot about the Gt
My 156 gta has done approx 130k still pulls strong tbh

So 80k miles on a lump probably not too much to worry about then. From what i can tell there appears to be a ready supply of parts.

smiffy

The Gt is a real lovely looking car. But with the 147 156 and Gt they go through top bottom arms and drop links, 80k shouldn't be a worry as long as the right oil, servicing and belts have been done.