4C has arrived

Maser Sod

They are hand-built, so each one is, erm, unique. :)

I found out recently that the carbon tubs are manufactured in Nottingham. So in essence the 4C is a British car!

conaero

Forum Owner
They are hand-built, so each one is, erm, unique. :)

I found out recently that the carbon tubs are manufactured in Nottingham. So in essence the 4C is a British car!

Interesting about the Nottingham connection, they were supposed to use the tub of a another car, KTM Xbow from memory. I think they walked away from it in the end as the nose kept grounding out under heavy braking then went off and had it done by someone else....this Nottingham lot I suppose.

Kazzer

Congrats on finally getting your 4C.
Advice /opinion please I have added the sports pack on mine but wondering if the sports suspension is not really suitable, also I have been looking on other forums
and unsure about the seat as we will have 2 drivers will it be easy to adjust to suit either.

Never driven anything like this clutch etc - I know my other half will be ok - any further advice comments would be appreciated.

I spec'd the 4C similar to yours by the look of it - but then decided I may want the Spider but this depends on price etc. The dealer told me beginning of Dec it would be in 2 weeks time - so I need to decide shortly.

lisknik

Hey Karen, can't comment on driving one, but been out for a ride in one, think it was a sportspack. Ride is really good, handling is brilliant. Passenger seat was plenty comfortable enough, that surprised me tbh cos they don't look it ;) Plenty fast enough and all, the only thing that disappointed me was the engine note, but then again i am used to the boxer and the busso V6. I think you will be plenty pleased enough, they are a really good little sports car :)

Nick

Maser Sod

Ride is just right on normal suspension. Taught, but you keep your fillings. If you are going to track the car, then the sports pack might be right. But I would not understand any other reason for picking that option for British roads. And remember there is no going back once you have it!

Dual clutch works well, nothing to worry about. Keep your foot down and click away. The 4C paddle shift is somewhat annoying as it sits on the steering wheel rather than the steering column. Drive around a roundabout and you will see why this is an issue! I have resorted to dropping into Auto when confronted with low-speed roundabouts.

I have no problem with the seat - I'm 5'10" and medium build - but others have complained about it. Seat height has to be adjusted by the dealership, so best to get that sorted before collection. Getting in and out of the car is an art, and I would not like to have to do it if I were either taller or heavier than I am!

If you have chosen the stereo upgrade as an option, then cancel it. Waste of money. In contrast, the paint upgrade was worth every penny. It's stunning.

I imagine the lead times on spiders are not appealing, best to check them vis-a-vis the regular 4C. Alfa have had a tough time in delivering 4C's in a timely manner to their customers, much to the frustration of the dealerships. If I weren't a dyed-in-the-wool Alfa and Maserati fanatic, I would have bailed out and got a Cayman instead as I really did not enjoy the fact that neither the dealership nor Alfa Romeo themselves could give me even a roughly accurate delivery date.

No doubt you are dealing with Simon at Wessex, he's a class act and will give you as good if not better advice than I. He's spent a fair amount of time behind the wheel of 4C's.

Kazzer

Nick/Pat

Thanks for the comments.

I added the racing pack at the time - with the option of changing it if necessary when the time came to do the final spec - this would be once I had decided if it was to be the spider or not. Wanted to see what other people thought about the suspension - we are thinking its not right for the journeys it will be doing - cant see us
going on track days - daily commute and weekend fun.

Have not chosen the stereo upgrade - picked the paint upgrade and the 5 hole wheels in alloy at the moment - I really want the matte black finish as the wheels on both the spider and 156 are alloy.

Seat will be ok then Steve similar height to you - I'm 5' 5" - so if its just the seat height that has to be adjusted by the dealership then will be ok.

The lead time will probably not be good - when I placed my deposit I told Simon if it was 2016 that would be fine - it would give Alfa chance to rectify any problems that may arise as the car was rolled out in its limited numbers and we knew the spider would be released sometime in 2015, with production to follow later in the year.

I am prepared to wait to 2016 - the only other option would be a Maserati - which would be the best dealership to go to please the one in Exeter or Swindon? To see what the alternatives would be if necessary.

Karen

Maser Sod

I don't have any experience of Carrs in Exeter, I'm afraid.

The Swindon people are a lovely bunch, but I find them very focused toward 'rich' buyers. (I've only ever bought my Maserati's second hand, although I was very close to buying a new Ghibli from Swindon.)

Dick Lovett Cardiff were fantastic, but they stopped being a Maserati franchise a while ago unfortunately. There's a new Maserati dealership - Arrow motors - which could be promising, and probably worth a visit, especially if any of the old Dick Lovett Cardiff crew have re-homed themselves there.

Kazzer

Will be taking the racing pack off and adding back the other items in the pack individually that I want.

Would be looking for a second hand Maserati as a possible alternative - so I will get in touch with Arrows .

Thanks for your comments/advice as they have been very useful - I know with time I would get used to driving one - which was one of our biggest concerns.