Conaero's Spider Rebuild

conaero

Forum Owner
Ok, first job was to clean her as she was in a right old state, the inside was the worst bit, some after pics:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

conaero

Forum Owner
Then I turned my attention to the engine.

I put some oil in and it came straight out sump. On closer inspection there was a hole I could get my little finger in. So I plugged it with chemical metal, filled up with oil and put the battery on charge.

Ok, time to start it to see how bad running a V6 engine without any oil in would sound???

To say I was overjoyed was an understatement, it purrrrs likes a kitten :)

Last edited:

conaero

Forum Owner
Cheers Alan, I was reading your engine removal thread over on AO today, you took it out the top, how long did it take you?

I am considering dropping it all out the bottom, subframe, suspension and all.

allandwf

No I haven't done it yet, was going to do it out the bottom. Bought a 2002 3.0 Spider, so it's taken a back seat for the moment.

2b1ask1

Special case
Happy for you Matt; I was going to say you probably want to drop the sump off to check for any debris, then I realised you'd be doing that to change the sump for one without holes anyway....!

So a new subframe and a thorough check of the body whilst it is all out for a home run!!!

MAF260

Cheers Alan, I was reading your engine removal thread over on AO today, you took it out the top, how long did it take you?

I am considering dropping it all out the bottom, subframe, suspension and all.
I took everything out from underneath when I did the engine swap in my old E30. It was so much easier and straight forward than taking it out the top. As yours is FWD I would imagine it would be even easier as everything's contained in the engine bay. Get the GS off of the lift and use that to raise the whole car away from the engine/subframe. Might be a nice easy job.

zagatoes30

When we took the W8 engine out of the Passat we dropped the whole front sub frame out of the bottom it was a really simple job with such a big engine. I believe the Alfa boys do the same with the V6 FWD engines but I can find out for you if you like.