Taking on the 156 Selespeed Sportwaggon

2b1ask1

Special case
Well I thought as I'm committed to a rebuild there is no significant damage I can do to the lump by running it so I loaded up and put it to work today in south London and Marble Arch; it returned home loaded to the roof with tools and timber. It is making no more or less noise than this morning so I'll run it again tomorrow to Leicester (where I blew it up last week)!

conaero

Forum Owner
Problem is Newton, if the main bearing shells are breaking down they shed white metal shavings that then get sucked through the oil system. It's only a matter of time till they get lodged somewhere that causes damage.

2b1ask1

Special case
Well it rolled over 300 miles on the way home this afternoon and the noise has not changed so I'll hang ion ther a bit longer yet; I'll dip the oil in the morning to look for any shiney bits!

I have no intention of getting attached to this motor. I may try and pick up a spare motor and rebuild that so I can just do a total swap out one weekend.

2b1ask1

Special case
Ok mine is an early 02; by that I mean it looks like it was a dealer demonstrator as it has features not on general release till later 02:

I have found an engine, a 2.0 16v TS from a V plate (1999); I need it to be a direct replacement, does anyone know if there are any pitfalls???

lisknik

Your 02 got a CF2 or CF3 enigine? Cats in the downpipe is usually the way to tell if it is a cf3 engine. Not sure, but i think a 99 engine will be CF2, when i did the engine change on my phase 1 gtv found a few plugs and stuff different but it wernt no biggy, esentially the same.

2b1ask1

Special case
Erm....

Two cats immediately after the manifold and a single after the rear engine mount. Will I be able to fit all the engine loom and sensors directly over? As I've said previously I already have a long term project and just need to be able to do a quick fix/swap.

Cheers.

lisknik

Shouldn't need to do the loom, just a couple of different plugs fro what i remember, i may be wrong. And no its not a big job.

Smaky

An engine swap is only a days work, remember though the sele will need setting up again.

2b1ask1

Special case
Just had a Call from Duncan who made a start on the engine swap this evening but on driving it into the unit he thought it a little strange and did some diagnostics....

It turns out the balance shaft has a siezed bearing!!! He cut the belt off and it runs as quiet as anything! Seems my big end fix has worked and this is coincidental! So no engine swap needed, a new bearing in the balance shaft and a full set of belts and we are there!!!

So I have a spare 2.0 twin spark with 43k and a service history if anyone needs one!

Great outcome indeed....

Smaky

Er... leave the belt off, put the covers and Aux back on, job done, you wont notice the difference and the replacement bearing wont be a waste of time and money, after all, you've replaced the big end shells, which can only mean that the crank is worn due to low oil, which only means it's a matter of time before the cams wear away and the engine lets go.

So my advice, leave the balance belt off and seal up the shaft seals.

conaero

Forum Owner
Great Newton, keep the spare, you may need it later by the sounds of it, well chuffed, I hope my V6 inspection goes as smoothly.

Can you get Duncan to call me, as I am still waiting for a call and it sounds like he knows his onions.

Engine is out and will be on a pallet by next weekend ready to go off for inspection to him.

2b1ask1

Special case
Yes Matt, seen the photos, well done with that. Yes having a spare engine ready to go sounds like a good idea. I can do the pumps and belts etc.

2b1ask1

Special case
Well a good thousand miles on from the repair it is all going well and reliable, it has a nasty habit of dumping a drop of oil on the manifold under braking from the oil filler cap. The seal seems to be dry and hardened so I'll look for a replacement.... Maybe the one in the garden will work! Doh!

What is 'normal' oil consumption on the TS 2.0?

Smaky

Allowable consumption is 1 litre / 1000Km, but normal consumption is around 200ml/1000Km

2b1ask1

Special case
Thanks, a bit of a shock to find it nearly off the dipstick! I have swapped the cap over & will be keeping a very close eye on it now!

lisknik

One of the mysteries of the twinny engine, some use oil some do not, both the 2.0 and 1.8 i had used oil, had to top it up regularly :)