Taking on the 156 Selespeed Sportwaggon

conaero

Forum Owner
Yep, complete arms Newton, they are cheap and easy to fit.

You want to do the drop links too and don't buy cheap.

2b1ask1

Special case
So buoyed by my success of reinstating the A/C on the Aygo last week I have bought a replacement condenser and water trap for the 156 A/C I thought I'd go for a seal set from the MD and make a proper job of it. The seal set for the Aygo (also MD part) cost £4.60 Alfa MD price for the same???? £38.85 +VAT thieving scumbags... I shal make do with what I have thank you!

2b1ask1

Special case
What a minefield is this looking at suspension parts! My head is swimming and I haven't purchased any yet! Alfaworks seem to offer the best advise but even that is not straight forward. I think I need to get my post lift up and running then assess what is actually needed!

2b1ask1

Special case
Replaced the air con rad and water trap yesterday, just in time for the cr@p weather! Had the parts on the shelf the last few weeks but been focusing on re-commissioning the GS.

Another 4.0l of engine oil required, it is going to blow up one day!

conaero

Forum Owner
Surely there must be some sort of leak stop treatment you can bung in, your oil consumption is criminal!

2b1ask1

Special case
Just plan on driving it till it goes bang and I'll swap it out for the spare engine I have in the shed, done nearly 40k in it since last January so can't complain really, it has been cheap motoring!

conaero

Forum Owner
It has to be coming up the side of the bores past the rings. Maybe something to do with the honing of the bores possibly.

2b1ask1

Special case
Until recently I had no idea where it was going, I could do 1,000 miles and not use a drop then off the dipstick in the next 100 miles! More recently I see plenty of 'haze' behind me under hard acceleration with occasional puffs of more cloudy stuff, the variator is knac.... and a good deal more wrong with it but whilst it is still driving and pulling my tools around I'm going to keep thrashing it!

2b1ask1

Special case
Given its history of a broken cam belt before 50k, I suspect oil starvation is also in the very early history, I've changed the bottom end shells as they were done for, I suppose it is a Friday engine...

2b1ask1

Special case
Sat in it today with the engine running and suddenly noticed steam out of the bonnet and the temperature gauge off the scale!!!!!

Ooops, I forgot that when I started to change the air con rad last weekend I'd disconnected the fan and thermostat before realising I needed to remove the bumper and go in that way. I had just forgotten to reconnect them.

Oh well these things happen, It will be about right when I fill it back up fully later, 2 litres so far but still bleeding air out as the steam has condensed.

2b1ask1

Special case
Came back from Morocco to find Jeanette had parked my Alfa at the top of the road under a tree...

IMG_9352.jpg

2b1ask1

Special case
It's just the workhorse but It does upset me a bit, thankfully the Mas is tucked up in the garage under a cover...

2b1ask1

Special case
Well my time with the 156 is coming to an end at the end of the month; the MOT is due and I cannot make the mam maths workfor the MOT, easier to get a new motor at the moment.

If anyone wants it as a project or parts donor let me know, it has a good set of leather (black) seats, most of the body is in good fettle, good wheels, recent Selespped gearbox replacement (< 40k miles on the box) and much more besides...

So a quick PM would do.

Last edited:

2b1ask1

Special case
Didn't sell so I'm probably going to break it, any interest in a near perfect leather seat set, carbon console, leather wheel, wheels, selespeed gearbox (< 40k on it) or anything else let me know.