Taking on the 156 Selespeed Sportwaggon

2b1ask1

Special case
Oh well it is on 72k so any time soon then!

Can they be read like the CambioCorsa ones?

2b1ask1

Special case
Ok, wrack your brain cells time; how the f%ck do I get the side light bulb out? It is stuck between the two large bulbs and there is a sort of butterfly wing plastic tag I can twist but this seems to do nothing!

2nd question with 30,000 miles almost done since last January, all new belts then, what is the recommended wisdom? Keep em going or change them... Still getting through crazy amounts of oil (put in 2.5 litres every time I can be arsed to look at it) and now coolant is disappearing. I have a spare engine so not overly bothered if it does go bang!

lisknik

Both my 2.0 twinnies used loads of oil, my 1.8 didn't use a drop....confusing tbh.

Gave up on changing the bulbs years ago, too heavy handed!!

2b1ask1

Special case
Well Felice has it today over at Sunnyside; knows his onions as they say! I cannot say I'm in love with this car, it is the easiest thing to drive excepting the lurching at low speeds and refusal to give you 1st gear if you are even remotely moving at a jubilation!

Not like me to let anyone work on my cars if I can help it but the sillyspeed/clutch needs resetting and I don't have the means to hand. It is getting belts, water pump, service and a full reset today so that should lighten the bank balance a bit!

2b1ask1

Special case
Felice worked his magic but also reported the gearbox is knackered; the last two days have borne this out as it has puked all the oil out of the box so I will be needing a replacement in the next week or so = bu99er!

This means I will have spent an awful lot more on the car in a month than I paid for it! I have told Felice he will be getting it on a transporter as I intend to drive it till it fails...

conaero

Forum Owner
Did you not have a spare gearbox or was that an engine?

Shame, you going to repair or scrap it?

2b1ask1

Special case
No I only had the engine, it is sitting in the shed, I am happy to leave it there till the other goes bang which it will do eventually, if not it can be like a portrait in the attic!

Felice has a low miles scrapper 147 2.0 Twinny in the yard which is a lot younger and 37k, it has the upgraded actuator on it but he is confident he has swapped these previously without issue.

Just need to do the maths as I had a silly expensive week last week with the service, belts, a brand new washing machine and the weekend away. Also have my younger daughter's 18 party and present to finance this week so that's another couple of grand! My problem is more that I have a run to Newcastle next week and wonder if I should chance it or not?

2b1ask1

Special case
Got fed up sitting in a sweat box this afternoon so popped into my friendly air-con guy and he checked it out and could not find any issues other than a lack of gas so £40 folding and it is like sitting in a fridge! Happy days... Then it started raining and hasn't stopped yet!

2b1ask1

Special case
And so it continues... Working on a job on Friday I loaded the 156 and saw a long trail of liquid flowing from the front of the car, assuming it was the gearbox gasping its last I poped my head under to find it was if fact the radiator letting spectacularly go!

Off to Motex (motor factors) for a new one, not in stock but if I could get to Barking by 17.30 I could collect it myself from Ferraris Piston Services, this was duly achieved with just two refills! Friday evening spent ripping the old and very decayed one out and manipulating the new one back in until failing light stopped play!

Back down there now to reinstall the air filter box, fill and bleed the system and to throw enough oil in to hopefully keep the gearbox together for another week!

Monday sees me up to Newcastle, Lincoln, Hull and other places, returning on Thursday. Wish me luck :)

2b1ask1

Special case
Well the gearbox did go pop today incredibly unspectacularly; I was on Mosquito Way in Hatfield (industrial complex on the old airfield), and slowed to go right on a roundabout went to accelerate out and it just revved claiming 4th gear on the dash but no drive, coasted to a halt, nothing, stopped the engine and restarted and still nothing except a Neutral indicated. Called the breakdown cover and got it recovered to Felice at Sunnyside, Chadwell Heath who has a gearbox waiting for me :)

lisknik

How come you break down in a convenient place, if that was me it would have been on a busy roundabout in rush hour!!!! :rofl5:

2b1ask1

Special case
Well the Sillyspeed is back with a new box of cogs and clutch, very quick pick up on the clutch, particularly in reverse! Quicker gear changes as it is a younger model box with the upgraded actuator. Felice and team have done me proud. The only thing is I now have masive movement on the brake pedal but the servo, fluid etc. are fine. I did have a missingsuplementary spring on one of the front calipers and the other side was incorrectly fitted. I can only think that in the 10,000 miles or so those pads have done they have angled because of the non-functional springs, now they are there the calipers are held straight but the pads are sitting out on the angle. They would pull in against the spring when needed! I may just pop some new pads in at the weekend as they are so cheap on these it is not worth sodding about.

Anyway, it is great to have it back and I can go to work again!

lisknik

Well the Sillyspeed is back with a new box of cogs and clutch, very quick pick up on the clutch, particularly in reverse! Quicker gear changes as it is a younger model box with the upgraded actuator. Felice and team have done me proud. The only thing is I now have masive movement on the brake pedal but the servo, fluid etc. are fine. I did have a missingsuplementary spring on one of the front calipers and the other side was incorrectly fitted. I can only think that in the 10,000 miles or so those pads have done they have angled because of the non-functional springs, now they are there the calipers are held straight but the pads are sitting out on the angle. They would pull in against the spring when needed! I may just pop some new pads in at the weekend as they are so cheap on these it is not worth sodding about.

Anyway, it is great to have it back and I can go to work again!

Brilliant news, well done that man :) Clutch has gone on my 33, only put a new box and clutch in a year and a half ago!!

2b1ask1

Special case
Well I seem to have settled into a routine of around a litre of engine preserver added every 400 miles or there abouts to keep it on the dipstick. This is a little excessive in my opinion and I'm pretty sure the variator is ******* to as it has the usual diesel sound for a few seconds on start up and a bit of a click the rest of the time, it often sounds like it is 'pinking' which it may well be doing but I'm assuming this is because of the variator? What is the perceived wisdom?

Now in the absence of a Maserati in the stable block and another Llandow track day looming fast, I need to consider the very real option of taking the sillyspeed Sportwaggon around which should be a hoot! Last time Felice and his team were under the car to change the gearbox they pointed out all the bushes were shot. I can concur with that having just had to change the front tyres at 3.0mm because the innermost 10mm was on canvas onto the sidewall... :( And then there are the clunk, knocks and squeaks that accompany every pothole.

Again what is the perceived wisdom here, is it to replace bushes only or complete arms etc?

lisknik

Replace the complete arms Newton, that's how they come, and don't buy the cheep shite off fleebay, they only last six months, i knows cause thats what i did once ;)