Alfa GT 3.2

conaero

Forum Owner
Oh Bu99er! Have the oil and water mixed?

You might get luck and it be a stuck valve/jumped timing belt.

If you can get it to Bristol, I highly recommend Duncan at Alfanet Services.

lisknik

Oh Bu99er! Have the oil and water mixed?

You might get luck and it be a stuck valve/jumped timing belt.

If you can get it to Bristol, I highly recommend Duncan at Alfanet Services.

Oi stop sending him business, I need both my cars in there soon!! :)

zagatoes30

No worries it is already with Paul at AforAlfa who is going to pull the head off. Problem seems to be across the head as no compression on 6 and 5 & 4 both low. Strangely no signs of water and oil gloop but the engine is hard to turn even with all the plugs out.

zagatoes30

Ok we have found the missing valve head, does anybody know anyone who might have a single piston and liner new or decent secondhand will do

15658586_10155678127479126_243376310_o.jpg

zagatoes30

Sourced a good piston and new liner, head going off for check and repair and then it will be rebuilt early in Jan. The worry is we don't know why the valve stem snapped, there is no sign of any other damage, water and oil are clean, timing spot on. No early warning signs, no noises just failed suddenly at 15 mph

conaero

Forum Owner
Oh dear, you don't have much luck to you :(

Duncan at Alfa net or Lawrence at Autolusso in Bournemouth is a good place to start. I expect Duncan can help you out.

Whats the head like, scrap too?

conaero

Forum Owner
Oh, ok your sorted, just one of those things I suppose. Whats the mileage on the engine?

2b1ask1

Special case
I certainly met a violent end Andy, safe to say the shells will be flatted as well if my 156 twinny is anything to go by after its pre-ownership cam belt failure is anything to go by!

Beau said I needed to change the shells when I got it and sure enough they went 1,500 miles later, fortunately I got onto it quickly enough I could do them through the bottom by taking the sump off.

Hope you are able to save the engine.

zagatoes30

So far engine looks salvageable, piston, rod & liner replacement plus big & little end bearings and obviously the valve. Head needs a slight repair but fortunately failure happened at low speed and knocked it off straight away.

At least I get a nice desktop paperweight once it has all been cleaned and polished

conaero

Forum Owner
Andy, as one valve has let go, don't you think you should replace the rest of them?

zagatoes30

Replacement head received pick up piston, rod & liner on Monday ready for all to go back together :)