V6 Spider Damage Repair

allandwf

I thought I'd start a thread to follow the repair of my Spider, which may help owners with similar damage at some point. It look a glancing blow to the front nearside which has pushed both front chassis members, and radiator packs, around 2 inches to the right, and also pushed in the nearside member. Wheels however are all in the correct place, and the radiators are all intact, which is a bonus.
DSC_2073.jpgDSC_2088.jpgDSC_2081.jpgDSC_2086.jpg

Off to discuss with Chassis straightening firm tomorrow, at least it all seems to be forward of the strut mounts.

conaero

Forum Owner
I watch with interest, the chassis straightening should be minimal, give me a shout if you need any bits having just done something similar myself.

allandwf

An update sort of. The Spider has taken a bit of a back seat. I totally underestimated how busy the Garage with the Jig was! Also with still trying to buy a place in Sicily and the opportunity to buy back my Maserati it left no time for the Spider. So today I connected up the newly charged battery and he, (my wife's adamant it's a he,) started first turn, not bad as it hasn't been started since November, and never since we got it home. Brought up to temperature and all good, they do sound good those V6s! So next move try and get booked in the garage.

lisknik

An update sort of. The Spider has taken a bit of a back seat. I totally underestimated how busy the Garage with the Jig was! Also with still trying to buy a place in Sicily and the opportunity to buy back my Maserati it left no time for the Spider. So today I connected up the newly charged battery and he, (my wife's adamant it's a he,) started first turn, not bad as it hasn't been started since November, and never since we got it home. Brought up to temperature and all good, they do sound good those V6s! So next move try and get booked in the garage.

Your wife is wrong, they are most def all female!! :rofl5:

allandwf

Eventually an update. I spent a year trying to get booked on a jig! Gave up, bought some Blackhawk 10ton rams and stuff, and learnt how to do it. Basically push and pull everything back in reverse of how it was bent. I drilled out the spot welds on the front cross member and removed it, and purchased a new one, on sale at Alfa :) Removed front engine mount and set about straightening each front leg. I made a frame/jig from my other spider to check alignment. It is now almost there a few wee tweaks and a trial fit of the bumper next.

conaero

Forum Owner
Well get you....nice job mate.

In the old days they did it the same way as you, measuring the diagonals and using plum weights and chalk markings on the floor.

allandwf

The majority of it is now within 1cm. A couple of awkward bits , then get everything down to 3mm.

allandwf

Well today, got the engine mounts lined up, and tightened. A trial fit of bits and bobs prior to welding in the new crossmember. Couldn't resist starting her and running her up to temperature. All good. Getting there slowly. DSC_3463.JPG