Hello Mr 90

beautifulbusso

I've been forgetting to update this thread because I've got one running over on Pistonheads, which last week made it onto the front page of the site.

So here are the updates which I posted there but not on here.

Update for you guys.

For the 1st time she failed to start last night, finished a 13hr shift and went to go home, and all you could hear was the relays clicking. I had 'some' power but not enough to crank her over, so I grabbed a car from work and used that. Cue this evening at work I jumped started her and all was fine biggrin

Seems the issue was my fault in that I wired the head unit wrong, so it was always drawing power doh! Plus the battery looks old, so I've ordered a new more beefier battery and wired the head unit correctly this time.

Apart from that she's been fine.

Oh and I've found someone in Belgium who's offered me essentially a whole car for €200. It's been broken already so all I need to do is hire a van from work and head to Belgium for the bits.

Just a small update this evening.

Well the battery played up again and went flat Sunday morning, which of course annoyed me. Cue pushing my car off the drive, pulling my fathers car off the drive and pushing mine back on, which is just what I wanted at 6:30 in the morning, but at least I weren't late for work!! So I've ordered a new more beefier battery which should be here later on this evening between 19:15 and 20:15, I did pay for next working day delivery but I'm not too happy that it's arriving so late, so unfortunately I'll be cycling to work tomorrow morning.

Today has been semi productive though, I've removed the old battery, cleaned up the tray and treated the rust around that area which I feel is quite good, I will be stripping away more components at a later date to treat the whole area though.

I've also been sorting out all the old paperwork, I've managed to sort through all the bits and organised them into date order as well as finding all the old MOTs and sorting those as well. I also come across a receipt from when someone bought the car at 2 years old in 1987, which I'm pretty chuffed at finding. Does anyone know how I can find more history which is missing though? As it's not complete sadly.

Photos below showing the paperwork all sorted out smile

lisknik

Flipping heck, great going Scott! :)

Could try the places she has had work/servicing done, they still may have stuff on file, and good going on finding the spares car! Impressed :)

beautifulbusso

Flipping heck, great going Scott! :)

Could try the places she has had work/servicing done, they still may have stuff on file, and good going on finding the spares car! Impressed :)

I could do yeah, I've wrote letters to the previous owners asking if any of them may still have paperwork for the car too. The main parts which I'd kill for is a new bonnet which is included and in the same colour, but with no rust at all! Essentially a whole new interior, all new window glass and all 4 window regulators which are super rare to track down! Just that lot there would cost a cool £500 :)

As for the spares car, I was just very very lucky. Came across a post in another language on Facebook, commented that I'd love all those spares and left it at that. Then a few weeks later I got a message from the guy selling them offering them to me, plus some other bits which weren't listed!!

lisknik

I could do yeah, I've wrote letters to the previous owners asking if any of them may still have paperwork for the car too. The main parts which I'd kill for is a new bonnet which is included and in the same colour, but with no rust at all! Essentially a whole new interior, all new window glass and all 4 window regulators which are super rare to track down! Just that lot there would cost a cool £500 :)

As for the spares car, I was just very very lucky. Came across a post in another language on Facebook, commented that I'd love all those spares and left it at that. Then a few weeks later I got a message from the guy selling them offering them to me, plus some other bits which weren't listed!!

Fantastic mate, brilliant going that :) See if he has any 33 bits while you are there :)

beautifulbusso

Sorry that I've not updated this thread much, the issue being is because I've literally had nothing to report. Everything is working how it should be, starting 1st time every time etc, for an old Alfa it's being **** reliable!!

Thought I'd upload a few photos that I took this afternoon though, I've given her a proper good wax in preparation for Autoitalia Brooklands tomorrow :)

And when I came out from shopping this morning, I found another Alfa parked next to me! (Car park was empty)

beautifulbusso

So a small kinda update today.

I've been doing some wheeler dealing and I've managed to bag myself a set of new alloys, now the problem is that I've essentially got the choice of two very different sets.

The 1st set are 5 spoke alloys, I don't know what they are but I feel that these would look very good.

The 2nd set are a long time favourite of mine, they are Compomotive TH Mono's in 16", which after seeing them on another 90 over on the continent has made me feel that the 90 looks good on them. Yes they are black but I'd probably have them painted in silver :)

And the last thing which I've managed to bag is an OMP steering wheel, I know it's going a bit away from keeping the interior standard but after owning a smaller steering wheel on my 75, 155 and 145 makes me think it's an upgrade worth doing.

lisknik

You knows my opinion, your car do what you want, if in doubt get both!! :)

Smaller wheel good option, done that on the 33 with a removable boss, will mmake people think twice about nicking her without any steering ;)

Alfa Muppet

Mono's and the steering wheel - good luck getting the old steering wheel off, it's a right bugger to move

beautifulbusso

You knows my opinion, your car do what you want, if in doubt get both!! :)

Smaller wheel good option, done that on the 33 with a removable boss, will mmake people think twice about nicking her without any steering ;)

That's what I did with the 75 and it's what I'll do for this, a removable steering wheel is a great way to deter people from steeling it.

Mono's and the steering wheel - good luck getting the old steering wheel off, it's a right bugger to move

That's actually quite odd that, as once when I was moving the car at work I pulled it clean off...que much laughter from the guys :)

beautifulbusso

So today I did my usual weekly fluid and pressure checks, I'm still quite amazed in that the 2.5 12v uses next to no oil! So I moved onto the engine coolant and noticed that it was a bit too low, so I topped it up and noticed a small weep from a coolant pipe...fortunately all it needed was for the jubilee clip to be tightened.

I then preceded to give her another clean as always, this time I used a wax called Soft99 Fusso wax which is a Japanese wax that's taken the UK by storm recently.

So please find below the latest photos, as well as including photos of the engine for once.

Alfa Muppet

Well done Scott, she's looking amazing - quite a change from the sorry state she had gotten into not being used and sat on my drive

She's a credit to you mate!

beautifulbusso

Well I had my 1st breakdown last night, I pulled up with the car overheating, steam was everywhere! So I switched off the engine asap and let the car cool down etc, checked for split pipes and there are all good.

So thanks to a lovely old women who provided me with enough water to fill the coolant back up, I was on my way home again. So the car wouldn't overheat I took the longer way home, so I was at a constant speed so convectional cooling can do it's job.

So today I've been investigating and found that after I started the car, one hose was getting really hot whereas the other hose was stone cold, plus the radiator was cold and the fan weren't switching on. So I'm going to order a new thermostat, fan switch and also a new radiator while I'm at it, fortunately the parts are cheap enough :)

lisknik

Well I had my 1st breakdown last night, I pulled up with the car overheating, steam was everywhere! So I switched off the engine asap and let the car cool down etc, checked for split pipes and there are all good.

So thanks to a lovely old women who provided me with enough water to fill the coolant back up, I was on my way home again. So the car wouldn't overheat I took the longer way home, so I was at a constant speed so convectional cooling can do it's job.

So today I've been investigating and found that after I started the car, one hose was getting really hot whereas the other hose was stone cold, plus the radiator was cold and the fan weren't switching on. So I'm going to order a new thermostat, fan switch and also a new radiator while I'm at it, fortunately the parts are cheap enough :)

Ouch and well done mate :) Not something you want in this stunning weather :)

beautifulbusso

Exactly, I suppose I was lucky as I had to go London quite late in the evening so lucky I had cool air to drive in.