Lots of noise but no power

Flyblo5

My 2001 Selespeed has kicked me in the balls again.

Going along quite happily then lost power under acceleration.

Idles fine and when stationary all seems fine except a bit more throaty when you rev it. but when driving (i.e. under load) anything more than a slight blip of the accelerator and she bogs down, looses power and makes a lot of noise, sounds very similar to a Subaru Impreza but without the go. Once you eventually get to speed and you can back off the throttle she will go along just fine as long as it's flat. Any sort of hill is a no no. The loss of power is so drastic it's almost undrivable.

Was thinking possibly MAF but there are no warning lights on the dash and no fault codes on MES, (except for P0115 Water temp sensor,but that's a separate issue) and disconnecting it makes no difference.

Answers on a postcard please.

lisknik

I'm thinking maf, my V6 more than occasionally rev hunts, we are sure it is the maf, but has no fault codes what so ever.

Take the maf off give it a clean and see what happens.

Flyblo5

Cleaned the MAF and no difference. Already checked the Air pipes and they seem to be fine.

Time to start pulling stuff off until I find the problem.

conaero

Forum Owner
Sometimes cleaning them makes no difference. Have you got a mate with one off a similar car?

Coils and spark plugs is where I'd start.

2b1ask1

Special case
Not going to be coils and sparks if the tick over is fine, as said swap the MAF off another vehicle for starters as that will eradicate the most obvious. Is there a throttle reset proceedure on these, if so do that it may sort it.

Flyblo5

May be the Lambda. Plugged in MES again and the readings are all over the place. Stuck on zero for a bit then went up to between 700mv and 950mv on idle then spiked at 3951mv at around 2000rpm. Also shows as open loop which I think means buggered.