Do I need this in my life?

Contigo

Sponsor
If you are going to spend £100k on a Fezza get something modern, I drove a 458 on Friday night and I am not joking the thing was EPIC! I am still smiling thinking about it now!

allandwf

If you are going to spend £100k on a Fezza get something modern, I drove a 458 on Friday night and I am not joking the thing was EPIC! I am still smiling thinking about it now!
I chased one in the AC, ( Graypauls Spyder demonstrator in yellow/gold, Gallio Tristrato.) that was also EPIC! :)

Dan!

The comment about the 599 has brought me full circle. It's one of those that I *need*

I love the look and the idea of the first 308 I posted, but as mentioned it would no doubt be a disappointment to drive.

I guess it won't be long before my elise is a racey looking classic... That's not worth a great deal and eats up my cash. But still less cash than the equivalent Ferrari.

Ok, back to 599 shopping

Ewan

The 599 has mighty running costs (if you actually run it that is). Especially if it has the carbon brakes. But it's amazing none the less. Surely a better bet than a modified 308.

The suggested 355 Spider is certainly pretty. Though lowering the roof isn't a gentlemanly affair - you have to be in the driving seat to do it, and it moves the seat forward in the process, so you end up with your knees up around your ears, while your chest is stuffed into the steering wheel. Well, that's what happened in my two (one LHD and one RHD, and both did it). They did sound nice though.

Andyk

100k.....Wouldn't go for any of the above ...Aston Martin V12 Vantage would be my choice ..... One of the last great V12's with a manual box and perfect proportions and looks and they are going up in price so you potentially wouldn 't lose money.......a car you drive rather than it drive you.....Old school and all the better for it.

zagatoes30

I like the styling on the original 308 but as a modified race car it will have compromises and will limit those wanting to buy in the future. Personally the 355 Spider just doesn't work for me in anyway. A 355 Coupe would be much more my thing.

But if I was spending £100k it wouldn't be on a prancing horse

LDM 3200

I would probably go for the standard 308, I can see the appeal of the first one but just not sure, I know the old 308 is dated and slow compared to lots of other cars, but it is quite iconic and could be used and enjoyed with reasonable running costs for what it is.

The 355 spider although a fine car doesn't really do it for me, I too prefer the coupe.

urquattrogus

I would go for the nicest 550 Maranello you can find.

Out of the two 308's the second one looks much better value, and less likely to lose money.

Contigo

Sponsor
As annoying as Schmee is, I think this captures what it's like to live with a modern Ferrari and drive it like a hooligan (MAF, Benny and me spring to mind :D )

[video=youtube;4vtNLL2vd40]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vtNLL2vd40[/video]

Contigo

Sponsor
Although it really amazes me that Ferrari still seem to get it wrong with glues used (458 anyone?) and now the TDF.

[video=youtube;TkXvGfmcGaM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkXvGfmcGaM[/video]

StuartW

100k.....Wouldn't go for any of the above ...Aston Martin V12 Vantage would be my choice ..... One of the last great V12's with a manual box and perfect proportions and looks and they are going up in price so you potentially wouldn 't lose money.......a car you drive rather than it drive you.....Old school and all the better for it.

I have to agree with you - the one car in the Strad price bracket that I would almost be tempted by but the Strad would still win for me. It would be close though

GeoffCapes

I have to agree with you - the one car in the Strad price bracket that I would almost be tempted by but the Strad would still win for me. It would be close though

I'm with you Stuart. Really fancied and Aston before I sat in one.
It just didn't feel special.

safrane

Have to agree...drove my friends Amy's V8 Vantage in Le Touquet back in 2008 shortly after buying my 2003 4200....was rather disappointed with the Aston given it cost 4x the Maser....slower, a little claustrophobic and not as economical (whops did I say that)...but the looks and sound were very nice.

alfatwo

When we were doing testing stuff for Auto Italia a few years ago with Phil Ward and team, the general conesus was that the then Astons were kind of ok but nothing special, wares the then Ferrari 355 was light years ahead..

Similar sort of thing with the Fiat, Ferrari based Maser 4200. ok it kinda ticked all the boxes at the time but it weren't a patch on the old original Maserati engined 3200 GT...

Dave

StuartW

OK, I'll stick to a Maserati then! I do agree that the cabin on the AM is a little cramped however, especially after getting used to the GTS

Andyk

I've driven both and both made me smile.....but........and i'll saw it very quietly....The V12 Vantage would just pip it as it was a better car to hussle arouns due to it being the perfect size for a sports car....The Stradale is a big car and even though it sounded great, looked great and is still top of my list as a car to own one day it is still more GT than Sports car......The Vantage was just a bit more fun on your favourite road........and as a manual it felt a little more involving......and faster........Both cars have bag loads of character but the lure of a V12 in a small body would be too much for me.