Do I need this in my life?

G

Guest 1678

Dan - I think it will slow and dim-witted in comparison to the ICBM alterations you are making to the Elise.

Save the cash. Not sure it will appreciate as much, given the non-originality and the race series not being that high up the ladder. Just my opinion.

conaero

Forum Owner
I'll take that to mean financial ruin then

Don't go and have anymore haircuts!

Back to the cars in question, I think maintenance is where you will loose on these rather than devaluation. Its an old classic Ferrari and parts and servicing will be very pricey and I suspect the reliability will not be all that.

Then there is the chasing rust thing too.

GeoffCapes

Just buy it! Worry about it later!

Although personally I'd go for the non-modded one. Or a 355.

outrun

I agree with Damon here, the first 308 is lovely but you will find it slow and dim witted compared to the Elise. Drive one, you'll understand. If you must spend that kind of money on a Fezza I reckon the 599 is the one to have right now. Sub £100k should get you a nice car and it's a rocketship. Modern in every way, unlike the 308.

G

Guest 1678

I agree with Damon here, the first 308 is lovely but you will find it slow and dim witted compared to the Elise. Drive one, you'll understand. If you must spend that kind of money on a Fezza I reckon the 599 is the one to have right now. Sub £100k should get you a nice car and it's a rocketship. Modern in every way, unlike the 308.

+1 - would love a V12 transaxle Fezza

Team GCR

Hi Dan,

I bought my 308 originally as something to use while the Bora was being restored, I had never been that into Ferraris but it was good value and I reckoned I wouldn't loose money on it.

Once I got to know it I got to really love it, so now when the Bora is finished the 308 will be staying. Over the four of five years I have had it, it has been very reliable and costs have been routine maintenance and a clutch.

The 308 is a surprisingly good long distance car, when we took it to Le Mans Mark and I were surprised how comfortable and what a good tourer it is. It is also good fun when you want to press on a bit.

So my opinion is yes you do need a 308 in your life!

I don't think I would buy the first one unless it comes with all the bits like seats etc.,.. in case anyone wants to put it back to a more standard look in the future.

The second one is good value and looks honest and also is a GTS (like mine) the roof is easy for one person to take on and off and remarkably leak free for an old Italian car. (The targa roof on my Jalpa for instance is a definite awkward two man job to take on and off!)

If you are considering buying one feel free to pick my brains further if you want.