SZ respray

zagatoes30

Just had a chat with a local paint shop about repainting the SZ, they have just completed one and done a lovely job and the price is not that scary.

Sent him away with the Giulietta boot lid that had a bit of a bubble in it which he is prepared to do for free to show the quality of his work.

lisknik

Got a quote from a place close to my work, they did a superb job of my bonnet vents, hoping to get the 33 in to be done in the new year :)

Good that he is doing the bonnet gratis :)

zagatoes30

£3.2k fixed price for the SZ, which considering how careful you need to be and the fact it is a composite is very good. The last one he did is stunning so fingers crossed next year she will be super shiny :)

lisknik

£3.2k fixed price for the SZ, which considering how careful you need to be and the fact it is a composite is very good. The last one he did is stunning so fingers crossed next year she will be super shiny :)

That is good, got a 2k cash price for mine, also to put the wheels back to how they should be will cost me £500, hopefully will get it all done for next year ;)

zagatoes30

Wheels will be another grand, although I have a spare set already done just need lacquering and redoing the front seats after last years rodent attack could be another £2k but then it will be mint again and as values have risen over recent years it is worth doing.

It will however be the end of track days for the old girl

lisknik

What!! You can't do that, my camera missed your spin at Llandow a couple of years ago!! Need to get it next time :)

zagatoes30

So the old girl gets pulled out of her winter sleep this weekend in prep for her trip the respray both in the next week or two

zagatoes30

Well things don't always go to plan, for various reasons the SZ respray got postponed last year but 2018 will be different.

On Friday she was taken down to the paint shop for the planned respray. On the surface this looked a relatively simple task of rubbing her down to primer and then a complete respray but unfortunately as often happens initial investigation highlighted a few issues. The paint on the car is super smooth, no blisters as these were removed in 2005 when she was first painted, and if it wasn't for the chips the paint still looks good. However the paint chips provided a clue to a bigger problem as there were all too neat and too deep, application of a sharp tool to the edges of the chips proved that underneath there is a bonding issue between the primer and body which allows the paint to flake away without much force. This will mean that we have to take the car right back. Paint and primer all need to come off and the body be rekeyed to allow proper adhesion. This will obviously take m ore time and cost more but it will ensure a perfect paint finish once complete.

Also I am taking the opportunity to addressing some rodent damage to the seats. Discussion with a well renowned trimmer identified the fact that although the damage was localised and that repair pieces could be let in the chance if getting an accurate match in colour and texture especially overtime would be challenging. The decision was therefore made to recover both seats in full leather, surprisingly the backs and sides of the original seats is not leather, this will entail having a boss made to imprint the logos into the seats as per the originals.

Body, interior which just leaves the wheels. Fortunately I already have a spare set that have been restored and polished, these will be fitted and the originals will be sent away to be done. Currently talking to a few suppliers who can do the job but retain all the original engraving that most refurbs destroy.

So after 26 years the old girl is finally going to get the make over she deserves, not a cheap task, all estimates have increased but something that is probably justifiable. Hopefully by spring she will be looking better than she was when she left the factory back in 1991.

zagatoes30

Not surprised at what has been found especially given the feckling that was done at the factory to get everything to align

zagatoes30

Agreed completion date, first public appearance Silverstone Classic in July, best get on with Wheels and Seats

Wack61

I got mine done for 2k but it didn't last , when I sold it rust was starting to bubble through in a number of places, bottom of the rear wings , bottom lip of the boot lid , top of the rear wings above the lights

zagatoes30

Well rust shouldn't be an issue on most of the panels as they are fibreglass, but the painstaking prep that has gone into sorting this out prior to building up the layers again should mean we have a great finish - just watching the timeline Silverstone Classic is just over a month away.