Giulia Day

Andyk

Good points Dem.....That is one fast car.....It certainly feels like Alfa are taking the Sporty mantle and they are pushing Maserati more luxury.As you say those performance figures will take some beating.

Andyk

I t is Andy.
Both you and i are big fans of the M cars but when i saw the the QV and M3 back to back and heard them etc the Alfa won...they quality is a lot better than the 159 and that was decent

Good to hear Dem....A great car for sure.

StuartW

I think Alfa have blown the possibility of Maserati doing a 4 door just as fast or as good.....the Alfa does 0-60 in 3.8 secs
has circa 500bhp
makes a lovely noise
all this for 60k new!!

What does Maserati have to do to beat that?
The only thing they can get away with is the price, they can price it higher based on the brand but it has to be better ie faster and more powerful otherwise the Alfa wins hands down

They are impressive numbers for sure. To my knowledge with the exception of the MC12, Maserati have never made a car with 500bhp or a sub 4 second 0-60 so yes, Alfa are already way ahead in this area

conaero

Forum Owner
I think Alfa have blown the possibility of Maserati doing a 4 door just as fast or as good.....the Alfa does 0-60 in 3.8 secs
has circa 500bhp
makes a lovely noise
all this for 60k new!!

What does Maserati have to do to beat that?
The only thing they can get away with is the price, they can price it higher based on the brand but it has to be better ie faster and more powerful otherwise the Alfa wins hands down

This is where I am left scratching my head....Maserati shooting for volume but getting taken to the cleaners by the cheaper Alfa's. Anyone in the market for an Italian car is going to choose the Giulia over any offering Maserati has at the moment if I am honest.

dem maser

Im a mod on a Maserati forum, im aware of this but.....the Alfa is by far a better car than anything Maserati will or have produced in the last few years....even the strad, 130k new was it? less bhp and less 0-60.....Maserati need to up their game, the next GS has to be a supercar not a pony

dem maser

This is where I am left scratching my head....Maserati shooting for volume but getting taken to the cleaners by the cheaper Alfa's. Anyone in the market for an Italian car is going to choose the Giulia over any offering Maserati has at the moment if I am honest.

Worrying Matt
Maserati are obviously going down the Luxury route and the power seems to be heading Alfas way, got a call re the Giulia from the sales man and he also mentioned that 6 months after launch there will be a "special Q4 edition" of the QV with more power, four wheel drive etc.....interesting

bigbob

Personally I would want 4WD with 500 turbo horses so that is interesting. Maserati is really struggling. As a stand alone the Ghibli is great and will still sell well unless AR bring out a 6 cylinder diesel. However you look at it, though, it appears that Maserati is being starved now that the SUV is here.

dem maser

The 2018 line up will include a 4WD with 523BHP (20BHP MORE) and a new Diesel that produces 301BHP to take on the 335d from BMW

StuartW

Im a mod on a Maserati forum, im aware of this but.....the Alfa is by far a better car than anything Maserati will or have produced in the last few years....even the strad, 130k new was it? less bhp and less 0-60.....Maserati need to up their game, the next GS has to be a supercar not a pony

But in the looks department, surely a GT beats a Giulia regardless of performance? For me, it's not just about power - I want a car I can ogle over too and personally, the Giulia doesn't even come close the GT

dem maser

But in the looks department, surely a GT beats a Giulia regardless of performance? For me, it's not just about power - I want a car I can ogle over too and personally, the Giulia doesn't even come close the GT

Completely agree, the looks of the Giulia is the one downfall...not the prettiest but not ugly either, certainly no Maser in terms of appeal or looks

Andyk

Agree on the GT piece but maybe it's the Ghibli it should be compared to....Ghibli S which is more expensive isn't it or QV.......Love the Ghibli but it would be the Alfa as for me looks great and that performance would be pretty mind blowing. But then Alfa aren't aiming it at any Maserati it is gunning for the M3, Audi RS cars and the AMG's and would these buyers buy a Ghibli instead of that choice....Not sure.....

Corranga

Agree on the GT piece but maybe it's the Ghibli it should be compared to....Ghibli S which is more expensive isn't it or QV.......Love the Ghibli but it would be the Alfa as for me looks great and that performance would be pretty mind blowing. But then Alfa aren't aiming it at any Maserati it is gunning for the M3, Audi RS cars and the AMG's and would these buyers buy a Ghibli instead of that choice....Not sure.....

I think it's more complicated that that.

Sure, the QV is aiming at the M / RS / AMG cars, but the QV isn';t where they are going to make their money. The QV is just a halo model that will help to shift 2 litre diesels and 4 pot petrols at closer to half the price.

This is where it's more interesting for me. I'm mad enough to own a Maserati and a Lotus, (and perhaps even madder to have an 8 year old Alfa and a 7 year old Fiat as the daily cars!) but I'm not mad enough to use a £60k 500hp RWD car as my daily.
If the regular Giulia is good to drive, then it will take a larger slice of the BMW / Merc / Audi market than before, and that is their aim. They will be helped along by the exclusivity of an Alfa in comparison too.
The QV then slots in as less exclusive than a Maserati - it's more common, and there are cheaper models available.
Now, this I have experience of. I'm looking at BMW M3, M6, Maserati 4200 and a few others. I excluded the M cars (6 series included) simply because they aren't special enough.

I'd imagine that Alfa won't produce a coupe, and if they do, it will be 2 seat, not 4. I'd also imagine they won't produce anything as large as the QP, and I believe the Stelvio is smaller than the Levante - and perhaps, there we have it. Is the problem not that the Giulia takes sales from Maserati, but that the Ghibli doesn't fit into what Maserati do?

conaero

Forum Owner
Completely agree, the looks of the Giulia is the one downfall...not the prettiest but not ugly either, certainly no Maser in terms of appeal or looks

Maybe this was the Alfa trade off in FGA...'u cana make it howa you want a to....but u musta make it looka lika pig!'

dem maser

They are Italian Matt not Welsh :lol2:
You could be right, we dont know the half of the negotiations that go on

zagatoes30

Not the most stylish Alfa I agree but it is a long way a from pig ugly IMO, no worse than any of the other modern high performance saloons around these days

dem maser

Its not pig ugly, better looking than an Audi and on par with an M3 in my opinion
Very German in terms of looks, shame but then again its one good car from the brand

MrMickS

Sat in the Giulia. Would still have the Ghibli. All that power that you can't possibly use as opposed to a more luxurious cruiser that still has more power than you can legally use. Fast away from the lights in the Giulia and you'd win at car top trumps. Only petrol heads will look though, bottom line is Maserati is still more exclusive.