Are Maserati and Alfa going up for slae?

Andyk

There was talk a number of years ago about VW wanting Alfa....no bad thing as far as im concerned. Look what they have done to Lamborghini. Plus prefer them under VW than Chrysler. Maserati....Ummmm....Who would be the ideal buyer .... That's a hard one.

Wack61

I don't think it matters who's name is at the top of the headed paper as long as they understand the heritage they're buying and carry it on.

Lamborghinis look as nuts as they ever did so if VW took them over I think it'd be a good thing , they have the bank balance to inject a lot of money into developing new models

highlander

don't know if this will happen or not and any impact not known till "a buyer" identified................sad though looking at that article and the only picture they can put up of "premium maker" maserati is of the SUV...........changed days indeed.

DaveT

First thing to say is that all of this could happen.

However - its a very poor piece with loads of conjecture and no facts or quotes. Slow news day.

conaero

Forum Owner
VW won't buy in they are still deep in the mire with the potential compo from tricking omissions.

I personally don't see any change of ownership on the horizon for either brand.

The only place Maserati could go is back to Ferrari.

allandwf

I can see VW taking Alfa. They already have Lambo. and would then instantly cover nearly every market sector with an italian marque if required. Not sure what they would gain buying Maserati at present that Alfa does not have covered.

Andyk

VW won't buy in they are still deep in the mire with the potential compo from tricking omissions.

I personally don't see any change of ownership on the horizon for either brand.

The only place Maserati could go is back to Ferrari.

I think I agree Matt...Things have changed in the world since VW were interested plus I really can see who want want to take either on these days. Apart from some Korien/Far East company looking for a halo company. Isn't that what happened to Aston Martin.

midlifecrisis

It's purely conjecture, one part of the company has had a poor year, so selling off the profitable bit does not make good business sense.

P R

Don't believe it either. The trade website which I read (its good, autonews and autonews Europe) haven't mentioned this story at all.

It is also maybe no coincidence that every time Alfa seems to be on the up (plenty of false dawns!) stories appear about this, conspirasists (is that a word?!) think its an attempt to destabilize them by their german rivals...

MrMickS

If you've got a part of the business that makes money, Magneti Marelli, why would you sell it for a one off chunk of cash rather than leverage its earnings to offset your debt? Especially when you've just been given a chunk of EU cash to fund development. Sorry, but other than extreme short term I can't see it myself, well outside the world of car journalism anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
Personally, I hope Maserati goes to VW. Sacrilege I know but they have turned around Seat and Skoda to the point they are viable companies in their own right. Whilst not ideal, IMO, it would safeguard the future for what we know is an iconic brand.

conaero

Forum Owner
Personally, I hope Maserati goes to VW. Sacrilege I know but they have turned around Seat and Skoda to the point they are viable companies in their own right. Whilst not ideal, IMO, it would safeguard the future for what we know is an iconic brand.

Problem is Ben they all run the same tech suppose it would go under the Audi/Lambo umbrella which could work but Maserati should only be sold to one company...Ferrari.

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
In a perfect world, I agree with you (for once). However, in that case Maserati would always be sucking the hind tit and that, IMO, isn't good enough for such a great marque. Forget Ferrari that's a marque on its own, Maserati needs to be an aspirational model for a lesser (most are) badge.