Another Italian

spkennyuk

My 4200 is my daily car but due to a change in circumstances it meant i was doing 1000 or more miles a month. Couple that with the trip to Portsmouth for the Lemans trip and a few other long journeys im likely to have to do i decided that a run around might be a good idea.

Cut a long story short after keeping an eye out for 147s and 156s i fell across something else. It was well under book value and well under what seems to be the going rate for the car. I made a call to arrange to view and as i was first to call then he gave me first refusal.

I couldnt view until later that day but the chap phoned and told me he was getting lots of calls about it including traders and he just wanted to ensure i was genuine and interested and not a trader.

I confirmed i was interested and not a trader and infact as long as the car was as he had described it in the ad and during our phone call then he could consider it sold at the price stated.

68k on the clock. 3 previous owners the last since 2010. Full service history, everythings works as it should. Mechanically and electrically i cant fault the car. Bodywork wise pretty good for a 2003 car but there is some laquer peel that needs to be addressed. The rest just needs going over with my trusty Das-6 pro when the sun comes out.

So my bit of a bargain unexpected run around car of choice is :

20170322_173309.jpg

CatmanV2

I had a 166 V6 for a while. Very nice and idea for what it sounds like you're doing. Just wouldn't do the b-road hustle well enough for me.

Enjoy

C

mjheathcote

Centenary Club
It actually looks a bit odd from that angle with the boot overhang.
Probably the camera!
What engine/spec?

spkennyuk

Its only the 2 ltr twin spark. Full leather interior, heated seat, suprisingly good sound from the stereo albeit its radio or cassette only. I picked up a blue tooth cassette adaptor which makes it hands free calling and sat nav from my phone through the speakers and music from my phone as well.

While its not got the grunt of the 4200 its suprisingly nimble on the B roads as long as you take your foot off to correct any under steer. Its also quite a pleasant place to sit on longer journeys.

lisknik

Cracking choice, getting rarer on the roads now, and don't see many at Alfa events anymore :)

Wack61

Looks clean for a 13 year old car

I came close to buying a 3.0 166, close enough to be on the train with cash in my pocket, guy picked me up from the station, drove me the 10 miles to his house, dead chatty, when I get there the car was a shed, cleverly photographed to hide the huge dent in the passenger door

you said it hadn't got any body damage

I thought we'd negotiate when you got here

he took me back to the station without a word and I spent a nervous 2 hours on a train full of saturday night drunks with a big wad of cash in my pocket

I saw this and thought about giving them a ring but thought better of it , looks like a lot of car for 2k not italian though

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...tising-location=at_cars&model=3 SERIES&page=3

I always liked the idea of a 159 but mrs wack said it was too big for her to drive so never got one

spkennyuk

It even came with some spares worth a good wedge in the boot. The tracking was out and i put new tyres on the front as the were a bit low and got that done but im pleased with her even with the old school cassette player :)

zagatoes30

166 are great cars I have ad two both 3.0 V6 and there are great places to be/They drive really well but keep an eye on the rear suspension as it can get noisy and is expensive to fix.I am still looking for a 3.2 Ti but they are as rare a rocking horse droppings

midlifecrisis

Looks good Stu, You can park it on my drive when you come down for Le Mans, the Mrs will look after it!

Also you'll probably see a lot of common parts with the 4200 too, especially those mirrors although I believe the stems are different but the backs are similar.

Corranga

Lovely car. I remember at the time thinking they were a bit of a disappointment looks wise (probably because I adored the 156) but they have aged really well - probably since similar sized cars of that age have aged worse. Alfa design seems to be that bit more timeless. Nice subtle hints at the 164 shape, and enough of the 156 to make them pretty. I looked at one when I bought my 159, but the 159 had me smitten :)

No way would you think that's even close to a sub £1k car!!