612 ownership

MrPea

The 612 is actually the F-car that I'd most like (that's potentially attainable!). There was one outside Emblem when I last went down to collect my Spyder and the one thing they told me was "lovely cars, but make sure the suspension's been sorted!" They're big cars with a lot of weight on chassis and springs that are now knackered.

alfatwo

A mate loaned me his 612 and I have to say I quite liked it. The engine is a nuclear power station, sh!tloads of power and it just pulls and pulls. However, all things considered, I would take a Strad over a 612. It looks better, is probably more comfortable, sounds at least as good and won't rape your wallet quite as badly.

As an aside, I drove down to pick the 612 up in my wife's BM 320D which I left at his house. When I dropped the 612 off I set off back and was glad I was in the 320; so much more comfortable and restful to drive. FWIW, if you get a 612 make sure it has cruise control as driving one over long distances without really is a major pain in the a55.

Sounds like your getting old mate ;)

Dave

BJL

From talking to various 612 owners the engine is bullet proof if properly maintained as is the gearbox etc but Oct 2006 onwards cars have a faster gear box and sorted suspension and are now approaching 100k.
Fuel consumption around town can be 13-14 but touring many get 18+ .

Elegant and mature car in my opinion that is aging well and last of the analogue V12s Silverstone grey, TDF Blue or black seem to be the most popular. White, yellow and red not so.

Not a car you can now loose money on as Auto Trader proves

Paul - H

I like the front styling, and my mother would like it, running cost high yes, but gorgeous soundtrack and parked it looks quite subtle, not so in your face as other Fezza's

Ewan

My business partner considered one, but yesterday agreed a deal on a 599 instead. The thought is that the 599 is the final NA V12 front engined Ferrari, so will be the Daytona of the future, offering good investment potential. Time will tell! And in the meantime he can enjoy it as an all time great Ferrari.

iainw

They both look lovely to me.
Especially like the styling of the 599.
If it had even a pitiful attempt at a back seat I would have considered one

ian roberts

As a 612 owner very similar to the car on the first post with the same colour scheme, I can say its really epic. Much more handsome in the flesh and very imposing on the road. Financially I think I will be well looked after over a few years even with some potential high maintenance bills. I just went along to see it at the dealer on a bit of a whim and once I was behind the wheel was hooked. The V12 is just something else and pulls like a train. A friend has an MC shift and its a great great car and also really imposing on the road, but for me the 612 just edges it.

Andyk

Surely that 612 is a step up ove he GT.....That V12 and price new puts it n a different league wouldn't you say...?

iainw

Agree Andy. To just edge it and pay an extra 40k... it needs to be way ahead to be worth the extra outlay.

Dan!

I was faced with the same dilemma a few years ago. The Ferrari just wasn't as comfy or as modern as the GT. The fact that everything with a V12 is 50% more expensive than a V8 didn't really cross my mind. I was fortunate enough to be stood in the show room with the two cars side by side and so I could literally jump from one to the other and stand back to have a good look at them.

I chose the GTS MC Shift.

As luck would have it, a few weeks after taking delivery I ended up doing a piece with Autocar magazine that was comparing a 612 with a GTS. I spent all day with the 612 and ragged it around a track. I also did a few drag races with it in the GTS. All in all I was happy at the end of the say that I'd bought the right car.

However, when it came to selling the GTS, I lost money. If you buy the right 612 maybe you'll make money?

If I was in the same position again, I'd buy a 599.

Dan!

In 1994 I a bought a Sierra Sapphire for £400 and sold it for £800 after getting it through an MOT.... that was the last time I made money on a car.

Doohickey

Velociraptor
When I went to pick my car up I was astonished at the prices for Ferraris (again). JCT had two 599 GTOs in both around the £650K mark and a 430 16M for £325K.

Maserati just doesn't ring the same bells for people.

bigbob

I always found the 599/612 styling unresolved still it's hard to see an older Ferrari now that is worth less than it cost new so I guess this is where the hot money is going. Mind when interest rates start rising it is going to be interesting to see how fluffy asset classes perform.

MrMickS

When I went to pick my car up I was astonished at the prices for Ferraris (again). JCT had two 599 GTOs in both around the £650K mark and a 430 16M for £325K.

Maserati just doesn't ring the same bells for people.

They've dropped the price on one of the GTOs. It was originally in at around £900K! They had two 430 16Ms when I was there so maybe they've sold one at those prices.

outrun

I always found the 599/612 styling unresolved still it's hard to see an older Ferrari now that is worth less than it cost new so I guess this is where the hot money is going. Mind when interest rates start rising it is going to be interesting to see how fluffy asset classes perform.

This.

Money is so cheap right now that there must be lots of people in these cars that will look to unload when that changes. I hope this has an effect on the FF as that's where I want to go after the Stradale and right now it's just too much of a jump. I could buy one but I'd be utterly paranoid that it breaks or is damaged that I wouldn't enjoy it. Bring back the days of the £45k F355.....

bigbob

This.

Money is so cheap right now that there must be lots of people in these cars that will look to unload when that changes. I hope this has an effect on the FF as that's where I want to go after the Stradale and right now it's just too much of a jump. I could buy one but I'd be utterly paranoid that it breaks or is damaged that I wouldn't enjoy it. Bring back the days of the £45k F355.....

Spot on. I have a downer on the value of most portable asset classes at the moment and the fluffy ones are the ones most likely to implode first - so many people are buying cars as investments not things to drive or tinker with or sit in the garage of an evening looking at. Most are happier looking at a spreadsheet whist they justify inputting increasingly higher values for these things.

Driving back from Edinburgh airport the other day I saw a 993 Targa actually being used. It was great actually seeing one of these being driven, such a wonderful shape and a rare car as a Targa. I used to dice with one driving to work in London back in the day and have fond memories of the noise that engine makes. I was in a 328i coupe so not quite so exotic but then again that was a proper car with no turbos and long throttle travel!

Love the FF - perfect family car for the Scottish weather - but I suspect I would put too many miles on one.

MrMickS

This.

Likewise. I would really like to go towards an FF after the Ghibli. I'm hoping that we will start to see ones that have actually been used hit the market rather than ones that have been admired.

iainw

I would love to love the FF. I was in Dick Lovetts last week looking at everything on offer, and like you guys was amazed at the prices of the 599s and other older ones. A used car salesman drove off in a bright yellow 599 for 545k whilst I was there. Mind boggling.

I can't for the life of me like the FF styling. I think the Strad looks so much better for a proper 4 seater, even taking the badge into account I could justify spending 90k more.

I took the 488 out for a test drive when I was there, and it didn't overwhelm me enough to hand over the Cali 30 and 140,000 cash. I don't like the sound of the new turbo charged variants.

What do you guys see in the FF apart from the fantastic engine? The side view especially from the side just leaves me cold.

iainw

Likewise. I would really like to go towards an FF after the Ghibli. I'm hoping that we will start to see ones that have actually been used hit the market rather than ones that have been admired.

There are some higher mileage ones coming on at reasonable prices. There was a 32,000 mile one at DL swindon which was stunning... 139,999. Just sold. I can see higher mileage ones hitting high 120s next year. 599 prices seem to have taken a jump recently. IMO the modern ferraris are so much better as a drivers rather than investors car. The 430s, 599s and 612s feel so dated now.