612 ownership

Panicracing

As a current Maserati owner I have been looking at purchase options between a GT MC shift or even stradale or a 612. I feel the 612 is a cracking buy and hit rock bottom so the only way is up. Advice and pointers appreciated on 612 ownership please. Good and bad.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

dickygrace

www.richardgracecars.co.uk
Early ones, not great, later ones are lovely. Get one with HGTC & HGTS, and the fancy roof that has a tint dial is cool too. The ride is quite hard but creamy engine, endless acceleration.

D Walker

What I meant was, only in the Blue, for me too a GTS but Blue, I dont want Black, Grey or Silver......

Good things come to those who wait, or are indecisive.....or choosy.....

iainw

I very briefly considered a 612, but one word sprang
To mind - dated. Couple
That with V12 running costs when it's probably the ugliest Ferrari, and would only potentially appreciate if you didn't drive it. For VFM the GTs romps it IMO. If you want an F for similar money you could get an early high mileage F430 or Cali

Marco07

I don't get the looks comments. It's a great looking car to me. But I have heard that it's not as good as a QPV which is what I have so why buy one?

Andyk

612.....It has that amazing engine and as you say prices are as low as they will go where as the others are still dropping. Not everyone likes the styling but I love it and it's an imposing car on the road. Do it....Its the next league up over Maserati....

safrane

Lots on here on the merits of the GTS and Strad so I won't talk on those. However the 612 is an epic GT car.

But as briefly mentioned by others the running cost are huge in comparison, not just fuel but service and parts make a Maser look like a bargain.

Phil H

I'd rather have a really good 456 than a cheap 612.[/QUOve TE]

Even good 456's are apparently racking up big bills come service time and some parts supply isn't great, so as much as I like them I think I'd opt for a 612 specced as Dicky says. The blue one is nice though.

PH

philw696

My old 456 that I had in 2012 which was nice and low miles with full Ferrari history and only 25,000 on the miles had a new autobox costing 13,000 pounds not long before I got the car.
The bills were frightening even down to the cost of a battery or re gassing the AC.
Glad to have owned a V12 but won't be doing it again soon.

voicey

I really like the 612 - both in looks and to drive. The later one-to-one model is very impressive but I also like the early cars.

The engine is the same as a 575 so I would start by researching the running costs and common failures on that model as there are more around. Due to the low production volume parts prices can be eyewatering and there are very few alternative suppliers.

Courtesy of Eddie, here are the things to look out for...

Clsports&performance said:
1. Exhaust manifold leaks (more evident on cold start up) they crack near the exhaust flange on the engine, manifesting itself as a light rattling noise from the top of the engine that disappears after a minute or so. The rear passenger side seems to be the most common point of leakage. Easily repaired by welding up (unlike the v8 Ferrari's they used better metal on the V12 manifolds) but still budget around £500 to get it fixed.
2. Camshaft oil seal leaks look around the backs of the timing belt covers, a slight bit of damp is normal, but if it's gushing oil out factor in £1000 plus parts to put it right!
3. Rattle from front of engine at idle; timing gears inside case worn, a massive, expensive job that should see you walking away and finding another one!
4. Knocking from suspension over bumps, standard knackered ball joint noise but each corner you hear a noise from you should budget £700 to do top and bottom joints (worst case!) into your offer.
5. Flickering dash display. The TPFT displays in these pack in and cost an absolute fortune to replace. Look for any flickering in the display panel or green-ish tint to the display as being early warning signs of failure. A £1700 bill.
6. Seat heaters. Check they aren't stuck on! The control down the side of the seat packs up, not massively expensive, but one to look out for.
7. Aircon not working. Could be a few things but commonly the AC compressor leaks between the two halves. They are around £1300 fitted, but there are companies who rebuild them for much less.
8. Transmission oil change. Make sure there are records of regular servicing including oil changes and brake fluid changes. Don't buy a car that's been skimped on with its servicing (even when it's a low mileage car)

Also the market is very slow - as a buyer it puts you in a very strong position but the shoe will be on the other foot when you come to sell.

StuartW

I don't mind the 612 and think it will age better than some, it sounds sublime too - there are worse cars around to be considering I would say

Neil183

Not sure about the hit the bottom comment as when I bought my MC shift for £50k 2 years ago i was considering a 612 as entry prices were £50-55k. Now they start around £80k whereas the MC shift is worth £40k max.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

BennyD

Sea Urchin Pate
A mate loaned me his 612 and I have to say I quite liked it. The engine is a nuclear power station, sh!tloads of power and it just pulls and pulls. However, all things considered, I would take a Strad over a 612. It looks better, is probably more comfortable, sounds at least as good and won't rape your wallet quite as badly.

As an aside, I drove down to pick the 612 up in my wife's BM 320D which I left at his house. When I dropped the 612 off I set off back and was glad I was in the 320; so much more comfortable and restful to drive. FWIW, if you get a 612 make sure it has cruise control as driving one over long distances without really is a major pain in the a55.