Looking at a 916 Spider any tips

MrMickS

As per the topic I'm going to take a look at a 916 Spider. Other than the usual cambelts on the twin spark does anyone have any tips on what to look for?

allandwf

Rear suspension rust in spring Pans, window fit round door and hood. Electric hood? Check it all works, although it should have bypass switches behind drivers seat.

alfatwo

Rear aluminium sub frame mountings, shocks and springs... Front suspension top and bottom arms and loose front roll bar mounts on the front sub frame, Rear gearbox mounting failure

Cooling fans not working.. Engine big end bearing failure... the list goes on, It's all old car stuff..

There nice cars if you can find a good one..

Dave

iainw

I know Zero about them but always liked the shape of those.
Long term I would be interested in one as a run around /project to tinker with.
I think they look great. Post pics if you get one and your thoughts!

MrMickS

Got a couple to look at which I'll arrange to do once I've got over the sleep deprivation of the past couple of nights. Will let people know if anything comes of either,.

allandwf

Just done a quick 80 mile round trip in our spider, roof down, great. Just the scuttle shake gives its age away.

Stewart

Just done a quick 80 mile round trip in our spider, roof down, great. Just the scuttle shake gives its age away.

We could all shake a bit when we were younger Allan, wish I could still
Shake as much as the car...days like this I'm glad to live where I do and have the privelage to take the old girl out for a shake when weather permits.Hope it stays good for tomorrow..service at PKs nearing 40 k and shaking like a young thing.

conaero

Forum Owner
Strad going back in the garage tonight, Spider coming out for some roof down action!

StuartW

Curveball: http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/s...cup-30-limited-edition-number-003-of-155.html

Was sorely tempted but decided against it mainly on the mileage, lots on here say mileage doesn't bother them.... only going up in value.

Yes, I do like the cups - not just a badge and a spoiler too - love those front wings also. I saw quite a few at Brooklands this year and they do look very special. I just wish that they hadn't only come in red - it would have been nice for a bit of variety like the 3200AC - silver, red or black

Navcorr

Saw a very nice example approx. 7 years ago for less than half this. Dealer advertised it on a Sat. morning, looked it over, took the weekend to decide, went to buy it Mon. morning. Already sold. Silly boy. :frustrating:

Ok. I've bought it. Hopefully pick up later today. Pictures when get it.

That is a very smart looking Spider. Always been a favourite along with the coupes.

MrMickS

It drives lovely, at least that's what M is telling me. I've not managed to get a drive of it yet. Slight issue with the power hood, caused by forgetting that there was a GoPro clamped to the hood cover. Something for me to look at anyway, which was part of the reason for buying it. Something to tinker with as well as drive.

I would upload pictures but that bit of the forums is broken at the moment.

allandwf

Hood shouldn't be too much of an issue as they can easily be raised and lowered manually, if they fail. It will probably start working again once you have fully lowered and raised it that way.