Wings & Wheels 26th-27th August 2017

luckesGTV6

Hi Guys,

Here we have a really family friendly outing- :picnic:

Most of the following is taken from the link below if you want to cut to the chase.

The 13th annual Wings & Wheels will be held over the August Bank holiday weekend; Saturday 26th & Sunday 27th August 2017, at Dunsfold Park near Guildford, Surrey, and is open to spectators from 09:00 until 21:00.

There are a wide variety of cars, motorcycles and clubs showing and demonstrating aero engined monsters, veteran, post vintage and other interesting vehicles.

You are invited to attend on either or both days to also enjoy 5 hours of thrilling aviation displays including the Red Arrows (returning to their aircraft's birthplace) BBMF (Lancaster and 2 Spitfires), Apache with pyrotechnics, Typhoon, the Blades aerobatic team, Tigers Parachute display team, and the Reds Duo (Radio Control models emulating The Arrows Synchro Pair). More aircraft will be announced over the coming months.

Visit the various 'Zones' - for living history, for tank rides, emergency services demonstrations, car static displays, music and dancing, go-karting, kit-plane demonstrations, aviation and motoring simulators, military outlets, static aircraft, a fairground, over 80 retail outlets selling a wide variety of products and gifts, a craft marquee and a *new* vintage village. There’s something for all the family the whole weekend! Yes - there IS Ice Cream!!

Bring your camera, er, mobile - for Dunsfold, home of Top Gear, has unrivalled photo opportunities both on the ground and in the air.

Last year the Brooklands Vickers VC 10 tanker aircraft and the Douglas DC3 Skytrain (Dakota) and '747 film star' were open for visitors and the first two also performed on the runway and for the last several years a 2nd world war Mitchell bomber has flown over from Holland and demonstrated at the event.

Entries for the runway demos are not yet closed.

Anyone else going?

For those wanting further info - https://www.wingsandwheels.net/

Last edited:

luckesGTV6

Are we driving?

Certainly, I am one of the lucky ones.

You may be interested to learn that there is no max Db at this event so why not fit tuned megaphones to the GTS exhaust for this one and try to outdo the noise of the Eurofighter! ;) ;)

Hurry though if that wasn't meant as a Royal "we" as entries close soon for the standing start blast up the Top Gear runway.

Ferrari 160 max. Aston Martin 145 max. Maserati ?? max.

See you there buddy?

luckesGTV6

Anyone else from the forum been accepted for the runway demo. runs this year?

If you are following the organisers blurb on https://www.wingsandwheels.net/ you will have noticed that there have been a few additions including a genuine Vietnam veteran Bell Huey helcopter demonstration, an awesome monster truck giving passenger rides in the wheels area, a huge American rig cab unit and probably a few others I have overlooked.
Edit. Yes I did - There is a 'gyrocopter' demonstrating, similar to the Wallace autogyro in the James Bond film and I also overlooked the unique Costin Amigo prototype sports car.

The runway demos may look a bit slow but last year the cars were maxing at :-
Ferrari 160 mph. Aston Martin 145 mph. Maserati Gransport 145 mph (Mr. HEXADEX). Alfa GTV 125mph (GPS HUD).

There may also be unexpected social spin-offs from attending.
This is an experience from Dunsfold last year, recorded in Club Lotus Magazine.

Scan28 002.jpg

Slight error in the Alfa type I think :) nevertheless the result is that the trio are meeting up again at the Kop Hill hillclimb event. :) :)
16th &17th September if you're interested AND unique in England I believe because they have always closed the public road for the event!!

Don't forget that you can camp overnight at Dunsfold - Suggestion, book a pitch, bring family tent, have a shopping spree in 'historic' Guildford on Saturday, view onsite entertainment in the evening, watch the events on Sunday. :)

Still hoping to see a few of you guys there, only a few days now.

Last edited:

redsonnylee

That's a shame this is right down the road from me, however am taking my son to a gaming conference at the NEC on the 26th. Looks a like great event though.

luckesGTV6

Guys, this event is getting up there with Goodwood! This is the latest squeal from the organisers:

Champagne at The Blitz bring nostalgic and uplifting musical entertainment to Wings & Wheels

Complete with vintage microphones, beautiful harmonies and victory rolls, Champagne at the Blitz will be entertaining the crowds across the arena and into the evening at Wings & Wheels on Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th August.

Taking you for a trip down memory lane, back to a bygone era, the vintage styled singing trio will be giving all the best loved classics of the wartime era and beyond, a heartfelt revival. With their signature red lippy, eye catching costumes and authentic seamed nylons, Champagne at the Blitz will showcase their repertoire of all the best loved songs from the 1940s, 50s and more, including modern tracks you can hear on the radio today.

In full three-part harmony and finished off with a twist of 'Champagne', they will bring you wartime songs such as 'Alexander's Ragtime Band' and 'I'll be with you in Apple Blossom time’. Bringing the original sounds of The Andrews Sisters back to life live on stage their set will also include popular 50s tracks such as 'Be My Baby' and 'Why do fools fall in love' for anyone who is 'In the Mood' to get up and 'Boogie Woogie' along with them!

Jenny, Caroline and Sarah have sung together for many years and formed the group by popular demand two years ago. Within that time, they've performed at festivals, private functions, charity events and even appeared live on Good Morning Britain.

Jamie McAllister, Event Director comments: “Champagne at the Blitz will be popping up throughout the arena before their main set commences in the central arena at 17:30 once the last plane has touched down. It’s the perfect end to the day where people can sit, eat and relax whilst watching, listening - and even dancing - to some classic wartime songs.”

luckesGTV6

Hi all

Should have set off to my overnight accommodation by now - but instead am still trying to drill out hardened downpipe studs with a diamond burr!

This shouid have been my 6th demo run at the event so I've now cancelled my attendance as, sadly, grumpy old OAP's don't qualify for a pension supplement for a 'backup' car - and neither do companies seem enthusiastic to let me hire an 'exotic' to do the runs. Pah! modern life.

If you're interested in attending - tomorrow is less crowded than Sunday.