Could I have some opinions from experienced owners...

bigbob

When you break at these numbers and deals down.... they all seem ludicrous even if your Salary can support them.
These posts are all supportive of Bob's strategy!
Everyone who sees the Cali says I am insane to consider changing it. Reluctantly, I think they are right.
The supercar club seem a little richly priced- but it could work if you threw your car into the mix!

I am suprised a few like minded people haven't set up their own personal one- surely the insurance situation wouldn't be too difficult to navigate

I understand your choices Iain, you are enjoying running around the toy shop and why not? I only manage to keep my cars a long time because I own four at any one time so there is only one solution for you......increment not replacement.

BJL

Super car clubs are mostly aimed a short term dream fulfilling. No serious owner would let his pride and joy become a hack for weekend jockeys. Plus the excess bill can be eye watering if you ding a wheel or worse plus if you tell even the smallest porkie to get the insurance for less than the national debt and end up involved in an accident the insurer will not pay plus you will have signed an indemnity so kiss goodbye to your house and children plus a kidney.

Apart from that they are quite good.

The California is a brilliant car, everything a Maser should have been. That body with the GT 4.7 lump and noise would have been a car from heaven.

iainw

Super car clubs are mostly aimed a short term dream fulfilling. No serious owner would let his pride and joy become a hack for weekend jockeys. Plus the excess bill can be eye watering if you ding a wheel or worse plus if you tell even the smallest porkie to get the insurance for less than the national debt and end up involved in an accident the insurer will not pay plus you will have signed an indemnity so kiss goodbye to your house and children plus a kidney.

Apart from that they are quite good.

The California is a brilliant car, everything a Maser should have been. That body with the GT 4.7 lump and noise would have been a car from heaven.

I just saw your signature - Portofino on order. Fantastic - and envious! It looks truly stunning.
I could afford to move into a T quite comfortably, but don't like the sound or styling. The Portofino is a different matter. If one was available I would perform my own surgery and sell the kidney I removed. I would probably have to refrain from anaesthetic too and put the money saved into some carbon options :)
When is it getting delivered?

iainw

I understand your choices Iain, you are enjoying running around the toy shop and why not? I only manage to keep my cars a long time because I own four at any one time so there is only one solution for you......increment not replacement.

How do you mean - Incremement?

I can't get the permutations in my head right re: Our 3 cars. Certainly don't need 2 SUVs i the household, but convincing my wife to change cars is about as easy as it would be to get the North Koreans to Stop their nuclear program.

BJL

I just saw your signature - Portofino on order. Fantastic - and envious! It looks truly stunning.
I could afford to move into a T quite comfortably, but don't like the sound or styling. The Portofino is a different matter. If one was available I would perform my own surgery and sell the kidney I removed. I would probably have to refrain from anaesthetic too and put the money saved into some carbon options :)
When is it getting delivered?

May 2019 at the earliest. They already have over 3000 orders worldwide and growing by the week.
I too didn't much care for the noise from the Cali t, to me it sounded too farty but the Portofino has some of the exhaust going direct to the back boxes and some to the turbos and sounds more like the 458 but with a sore throat. Your Cali looks the part in black and prices are now very stable like the 458s and 430s before them.

iainw

May 2019 at the earliest. They already have over 3000 orders worldwide and growing by the week.
I too didn't much care for the noise from the Cali t, to me it sounded too farty but the Portofino has some of the exhaust going direct to the back boxes and some to the turbos and sounds more like the 458 but with a sore throat. Your Cali looks the part in black and prices are now very stable like the 458s and 430s before them.

I have been looking at ferrari prices only for the past 6 months closely - and they truly are astonishing to me for the 430s and 599s especially.
The Cali from some quarters gets a bad press for some reason, that having owned one I don't understand.
The 430s and 599s do look great, and of course the 599 has a beast of an engine, but they just feel so old tech and are much less practical in my opinion. The Cali ticks the high days and holfidays box, but you can also pop down to the shops in it.
I think the Portofino will be the most transformational offering ferrari have produced for a long time. Those looks, the extra leg rooms in the back, improved sound and 600 bhp in that size of convertible. Wow.

Have to also add. I still think the GTs is / was exceptional in terms of looks and value for money, and I feel luck y to have owned one. i still have a big hankering to get one back.

BJL

Agreed, the GT is and always will be Maserati's finest offering, MC12 apart. Oh and my QP.

bigbob

How do you mean - Incremement?

I can't get the permutations in my head right re: Our 3 cars. Certainly don't need 2 SUVs i the household, but convincing my wife to change cars is about as easy as it would be to get the North Koreans to Stop their nuclear program.

No sane petrolhead would resist the opportunity to get another, incremental, car. My logic works that it is often cheaper and more sensible to keep car X and buy car Y rather than sell car X to buy car Z. I also think we all need a convertible in our lives. I love the FF but if you sell the Cali to buy one on the first sunny day you will need an extra shot in your coffee to help lift you from your gloom. Instead keep the Cali and buy an RS6, RS4, Alfa fast saloon thing etc. Or you should have kept the GTS.

Remember more is more.

iainw

I am tending to agree with this. The FF could not replace the cali on a decent summer / spring day.
In an ideal world - I would have a Cali, a Strad and an RS6. Thats my ideal stable.
Even though I could probably stretch to it, I would feel so selfish it would negate the elation at waking up every morning to look at them.
I am keeping an eye on purchase options for a CLA 45AMG, Alfa QV, RS6 but need to spend some xs on the house until its totally finished. :(
I understand more and more the ethos of Phil / Rockits etc in having multiple cars which do different things well. I was a 1 car man until I bought the GTs. There is something about not driving something all the time that keeps it fresh.
Envious of BJL's stable. Fantastic choices.

outrun

I'd have the FF and open the windows on a sunny day. And get one with the glass roof.

And keep the Strad because it sounds so amazing.

And keep my Beemer because it's practical and unassuming.

Have no need for a convertible. Had a couple and don't miss them one bit.

Could use a Cayenne Turbo S though. Not sure what for but I want one.

Oh, and I need a classic too. Maybe an older 911.

And another bike.

I could keep going....

iainw

I have always had a convertible and would miss one.
But I like the idea of a Pan Sunroof on an FF. Rare as rocking horse **** - only one I have seen has what I would describe as medialis faecelis interior.
What is it with brown interiors on the FFs? I could take beige... but brown no way.
Is there any Strad owner anywhere near wales? I would love to have a look / listen to one if there is.
Wouldn't the Cayenne Turbo S be a german money toilet? I dread to think how much that would guzzle in brakes, rubber and petroleum.
I do like the idea though!