Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 as a daily?

Team GCR

My one series soot chucker is on its last legs (237,000 miles) and as mileage is going to be much less in Wales I fancy a petrol powered daily.

Any reason not to go for a 159 V6? Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

dem maser

Hi Robin

I was looking into the 159 diesels and i got put off by overall running costs as most have experienced suspension problems as the car is too heavy but I have never owned one so im sure people will come along and give you a more accurate review

MrMickS

A friend if mine ran a 159 Q4 as a daily driver for a while and racked up a lot of cross Europe miles. Last time I met him was just outside Milan when we turned up at a restaurant in our RHD V6 Italian cars.

He was getting rid of it because he's bought a place in Italy and the 159 couldn't handle the narrow roads in the snow. He'd have kept it otherwise.

On a note of caution he did have one engine throw a conrod so had to get it replaced.

Andyk

The one thing with the 159's was that the build quality got worse around this era for some reason. A friend had one from new and it just fell apart. Not massive issues just niggly things almost every week......He gave it back and they replaced it but no different. Now most stuff would now be sorted by now surely but if certainly put me off as I know of a few people that said they would never have another Alfa after owning a 159 yet there are plenty on here that love them. Great looking car rubbish build quality. My 156 was better quality and that's saying something.

Team GCR

He was getting rid of it because he's bought a place in Italy and the 159 couldn't handle the narrow roads in the snow. He'd have kept it otherwise.

Ahh, that might be a problem then I hoped being 4x4 it might mean it would be good in the snow and around the narrow Welsh roads!

hukent

Buy a Honda CRV, cracking bit of kit.
Mine is awesome in the snow, as I've just found out as I had to take a neighbour to Hospital,handles the
snow covered roads really well, we've had about 3 inches here.

zagatoes30

159 is full of GM bits that were made to even a tighter budget than Alfa, suspension parts wear badly, subframes rot and the engine just doesn't feel like a 3.2 V6, it doesn't like to rev and just doesn't inspire. If you want a 4WD estate I would look at the Subaru or Audi models both have a good mix of performance and durability

Hurricane52

We ran a Q4 sport wagon for a few years. It was gorgeous to look at and to sit in. That’s where it ended though - very heavy, not as quick as we’d hoped and didn’t have the noise of a Busso engined car. It ate tyres and was too thirsty as a daily.

We settled on a Defender for Welsh lanes - copes with snow, slurry and mud.

Andyk

I did say that's saying something....The best quality Alfas I have ever owned were the GTV V6.

conaero

Forum Owner
I have heard of issues with that GM V6, slack timing chains and with any Brera/159 check the front subframes, they rust through terribly. If it has not been addressed so far in its life, it will be rotten right through.

Suspension is weak and electrical gremlins a right old pain!

The rest of the 159/Brera is all good though.

Avoid the 2.4JTDm (in my personal experience and people I know who had them) its excellent when running well but very, very complicated.

allandwf

If someone knows of a nice 159 3.2 Q4 Sportwagon, I'd be interested, the Brera is sometimes a bit too small these days.

GeoffCapes

You can normally forgive Alfa 'issues' because of the engine. This has an engine from a Vectra.

Says it all really.

Team GCR

Buy a Honda CRV, cracking bit of kit.

Not sure I am quite ready for Honda ownership yet unless it is an NSX!

Looking for a mix of fun and practicality to tide me over until I build a barn here and have fun cars to hand.

Team GCR

159 is full of GM bits that were made to even a tighter budget than Alfa, suspension parts wear badly, subframes rot and the engine just doesn't feel like a 3.2 V6, it doesn't like to rev and just doesn't inspire. If you want a 4WD estate I would look at the Subaru or Audi models both have a good mix of performance and durability

Thanks Andy, think I have decided the 159 is a no go. Had three Impreza's, though of a Legacy but not sure I am ready for another Subaru interior. Audi A6 Allroad is a contender.

Team GCR

We ran a Q4 sport wagon for a few years. It was gorgeous to look at and to sit in. That's where it ended though - very heavy, not as quick as we'd hoped and didn't have the noise of a Busso engined car. It ate tyres and was too thirsty as a daily.

We settled on a Defender for Welsh lanes - copes with snow, slurry and mud.

Defender a definite future purchase but need something a bit more dual purpose in the short term.

Team GCR

Now looking at things as diverse as an Audi A6 Allroad to something I never thought I would consider buying, a Porsche Cayenne 4.5S......

outrun

You don't need 4WD with winter tyres on. It's better but not required. Our 530d m sport has ploughed it's way through snow as happily as any 4WD has this year.

If it's clearance you're after, I'd look at the Volvo XC70. It's lovely inside, can carry serious loads and will get through anything.