The Portuguese Lancia Aurelia B12 1955 Series II

Parisien

All been discussed, all equipment to hand........as ever....good preparation is whats its about, otherwise no point.

Plenty of cutting, grinding, rubbing and nitromoring to be done!!!

P

2b1ask1

Special case
If you can lay your hands on a compressor Frank I know how to make a simple sand blaster out of a (used) fire extinquisher! almost no cost to make....

I would recommend blasting over nitromorse every time; simple fact is it is going to have to go bare metal anyway so sweep up the sand/shot and re-use many times plus no chemical to neutralise! Breathing masks are a must as you may well encounter lead used as filler give the car's age (I was still lead loading repairs in about 93)!

Make sure you primer everything before you leave it any time, just a really simple soft primer you can easily remove with spirit when you are ready for the etch coat & paint prep.

Parisien

Bonnet, boot, doors, rears wings are aluminium( might soda blast).....not going to sand blast, so may leave that solely for chassis and lowered areas.....take it a stage at a time, my guy knows what hes at!

P

2b1ask1

Special case
I'm sure it is (finally) in capable hands Frank...

Didn't know there was that much aluminium in them, lovely to work with but near impossible to weld, worse than lead to weld IMHO... I could once but not pretty! These days I'm struggling to make arc welding look half decent and I have not used an oxy/acetylene kit for about 4 years.

lozcb

Bonnet, boot, doors, rears wings are aluminium( might soda blast).....not going to sand blast, so may leave that solely for chassis and lowered areas.....take it a stage at a time, my guy knows what hes at!

P

Nuff said Frank , i'll take my eggs somewhere else to be sucked ;)

regards loz

Parisien

No Loz...Newton......Matt...all inputs, thoughts, ideas welcomed.......thanks for your insights.....have to do plenty of research and ground work too, like to feel the project is mine, learn a bit about it on different levels.

P

lozcb

No Loz...Newton......Matt...all inputs, thoughts, ideas welcomed.......thanks for your insights.....have to do plenty of research and ground work too, like to feel the project is mine, learn a bit about it on different levels.

P

Only Joorking Frank , i know where your coming from mate , still i found someone else yo suck my eggs anyways hahahah

regards loz

lozcb

....you're very perky tonight Loz..........:)

P

I have every right to be Frank , since early dec had 3 very large Jobs on and the 3rd and final one is very nearly finished , been on the home straight last couple of days , tuesday will see it all done and dusted and i have a few weeks off at home before i kick off again , looking forward to a breather and some tinkering

regards loz

Parisien

Fraid so.......not got storage...plus this will be more costly than I first thought.....

P

NickP

I once dipped a 60s Vespa in a tank to save myself the pain of doing it by hand, not much metal came back out the tank.... Still I got my money back from selling off the parts.

Parisien

...will do......going to go over her in the next fortnight.....order up some parts and panels......start on her when I get back from MC.......will take 2 yrs or so....

P

andyp250f

Great project there Frank. Reminds me of a Lancia "Appia" a friend of mine bought a few years ago. Sadly, that car had seen appia days. good luck. Oh, will a V8 fit?

Parisien

.....first effective V6 saloon engine.................will do nicely...an awesome saloon/coupe in its day................allegedly.....for the equivalent Alfa made of 2000 parts the Lancia has 4000!

P

Parisien

Appia...a shrunk in the wash version...........lovely little car......quality engineering found only in high end cars costing a packet at the time....

P