Castle Combe 29 October 2016

luckesGTV6

Nope it is fine in non sport mode! They just need to work out why it has got louder :D

:( Sadly, in this tecno bloated world they don't need to work it out my friend.

They'll just wave you off with their big black flag and give you their ASBO (unfortunately not the H-pipe type)

Hey, I've just re-read my post and it could be read as a nasty.
My apologies for that, no offence intended, just a bit of over the top banter. I've now amended it. The smiley made it worse so I've zapped it

Last edited:

Panicracing

1/2 hour from me and been before. Will put in diary. Noise limit put an end to a lot of top racing events. Same old thing, circuit been there for years and people move in an start moening when they know they are only 5mins from a racing circuit.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

conaero

Forum Owner
1/2 hour from me and been before. Will put in diary. Noise limit put an end to a lot of top racing events. Same old thing, circuit been there for years and people move in an start moening when they know they are only 5mins from a racing circuit.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

That's what valved exhaust are designed for. 98dB valves closed, 128dB open....happy days :)

From memory, it's a 105dB limit at Coombe?

Contigo

Sponsor
Honestly you think they will black flag you because you open the Valves? I'd be very surprised if that was the case.

conaero

Forum Owner
Honestly you think they will black flag you because you open the Valves? I'd be very surprised if that was the case.

Exactly. They tested every car and they passed, so if anyone complains there is not really anything they can do about it.

lisknik

Problem with Castle Combe is the same old story, people's second homes away from the city, they buy one then complain about the noise coming from the track. They have had one recently :beat_brick:

MrMickS

Problem with Castle Combe is the same old story, people's second homes away from the city, they buy one then complain about the noise coming from the track. They have had one recently :beat_brick:

This is a problem not just with tracks. The authorities need to take the history of the area into account. Anyone buying a house near a track/airports/other noisy place shouldn't be able to complain about the noise. The question should be "was it there when you bought it?". If the answer is yes then the complaint should end there.

I remember them building new houses along the edge of the M3 in Basingstoke. The new owners got cheaper prices than usual because of the noise from the M3. They then complained and the Highways Agency had to effect soundproofing boards along the edge of the M3 at large cost. Crazy if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drewf

I wouldn't be at all surprised, having seen it happen - most circuits use a drive-by measurement too. They aren't so stupid as to fall for the 'quiet in the paddock, loud on track' trick. It's been seen just a few times before ;)

What you need to do is find out where the drive-by microphone is, and lift near there :)

Doohickey

Velociraptor
I remember them building new houses along the edge of the M3 in Basingstoke. The new owners got cheaper prices than usual because of the noise from the M3. They then complained and the Highways Agency had to effect soundproofing boards along the edge of the M3 at large cost. Crazy if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the oldest pubs in Newcastle (The Cooperage) got closed on the same basis. Been there since the 14th century and some new flats were built next door. The residents complained about the noise so the brewery had to close it because there wasn't anything they could do. Nuts.

luckesGTV6

Is that the 2005 one where they had to cancel the F3 and GT championship races due to a council noise nuisance order or is it a later one Nick?

I find it interesting that even at Goodwood with M'lud March's considerable local/international clout it is restricted, from memory, to 95 generally and 100 and something on special occasions like the Revival. Db testing there is checked on a 'drive by'.

I suggest that this is still a good drivers day out, even in 'non-sport' mode: plenty of laps, albeit most with an unknown passenger, opportunities to squidge lesser marques/drivers on the straights and generally hone ones' skills and learn more about the car when near, on, or p'raps :) over the limit.

Noise test at 'Combe:-
To reiterate :- "Noise limit: STRICT100db(A), which is measured at ½ metre from the exhaust outlet at 4500rpm" (cut and paste from the 'Combe site)
It's therefore best to ensure that the other cars are not close to yours during the test as this could up your reading, also I didn't notice that they check that you're at exactly 4500 rpm. ;)

MrMickS

Ok. I'm planning on attending so will start a list. Not sure if I'll be driving or just being an exhibitionist, waiting for a reply from Amy.

1) MrMickS

lisknik

Is that the 2005 one where they had to cancel the F3 and GT championship races due to a council noise nuisance order or is it a later one Nick?

I find it interesting that even at Goodwood with M'lud March's considerable local/international clout it is restricted, from memory, to 95 generally and 100 and something on special occasions like the Revival. Db testing there is checked on a 'drive by'.

I suggest that this is still a good drivers day out, even in 'non-sport' mode: plenty of laps, albeit most with an unknown passenger, opportunities to squidge lesser marques/drivers on the straights and generally hone ones' skills and learn more about the car when near, on, or p'raps :) over the limit.

Noise test at 'Combe:-
To reiterate :- "Noise limit: STRICT100db(A), which is measured at ½ metre from the exhaust outlet at 4500rpm" (cut and paste from the 'Combe site)
It's therefore best to ensure that the other cars are not close to yours during the test as this could up your reading, also I didn't notice that they check that you're at exactly 4500 rpm. ;)

The 2005 one is just the one people know about, there has been a few more than that ;)

zagatoes30

Neighbours complaining is an ongoing issue we have people complain about Silverstone, anyone who has moved in over the last 65 years should know there was a race circuit and should shut the feck up - rant over

luckesGTV6

Ok. I'm planning on attending so will start a list. Not sure if I'll be driving or just being an exhibitionist, waiting for a reply from Amy.

1) MrMickS

Glad you can make it MrMickS.
Good you've applied to Amy for a track drive, sounds as if there may be a few this year from SportItalia.
Just to advise all that if it goes to last years pattern you'll be contacted by Richard, but at the 11th hour!
Yep, we'll need a list of definites to book our display space for SportItalia.

The 2005 one is just the one people know about, there has been a few more than that ;)

Thanks for that clarification Nick, I guess we'd be wise to toe the line if we are ontrack then.
Apparently Dunsfold aerodrome is under threat from a housing development company, if so, another one bites the dust!