Conaero's Spider Rebuild

A6C

The car that just keeps giving!

Rear caliper bleed nipple sheered off, got it out and just back from Meridien Milano, 2 nipples £25!

That was with 5% discount too.

On with the bleeding...

A6C, it was mental loud had to put the stock mid box back on in the end. The Wizards are good though but I don't like the twin pipes, I like things very muck stock in look.

My V6 benefits from a Wizard set up and it's borderline obscenely loud. I love the tone just not the volume sometimes. How they make the car sound like that I don't know, I've had a few exhausts over time but none have come close to the howl that they manage to tune it to

You can get the Wizard exhaust as a single exit but still a twin tailpiece end.

philw696

Hope you're going to clean those front hub assemblies up Matt ?
Forgot how much damage the winter salt does to cars back in Blighty.
Good work though.

conaero

Forum Owner
It Lives!!!!!!!

Finished off tidying up the pipework, another full bleed for good measure, wheels back on, get her off the ramp and the pedal is a million times better that is was and she stops how she should.

I am not 100% sure of what the actual issue was but it was between the ABS unit (not the ABS unit itself) and the front brakes friction.

I am 99% sure it was not air nor sticking calipers but more so the hoses or over returning caliper pistons.

I suspect it was the hoses or better seals in the callipers but would urge anyone with the issue to first off replace the front flex hoses. They may look ok to the eye but thing they swell and break up over time a then bulge giving poor pedal feel.

Here is a summary of what I actually did to solve the mushy front brakes on a GTV/Spider 916 with Brembos:

1. Stripped and replaced the calliper seals and dust boots for a second time making sure it all moved freely.
2. Replaced the front flex hoses with OEM items
3. Ended up replacing the 2 front brake lines back to the ABS unit as they both sheered off. It was a nightmare of a job so if yours sheer, consider replacing and jointing only the bit that sheers off.
4. After reassemble, I made up 12mm plywood templates of the pads and fitted to the callipers instead of the pads (they are thinner and thus pull the pistons out further)
5. Replaced the rear bleed nipples (£12 from Alfa, fronts were already new)
6. Full suction/vaccum bleed of the system, twice
7. Remove the plywood pad templates and lever the calliper pistons just enough to be able to tap the pads back in*

* Do this and do not push the pistons home fully as they stick in the calliper. Also, you need the pads to back off when you release the brake pedal the smallest of amounts as they rock on the piston seals. I found this a more successful way of bleeding and setting up the callipers so there is no slop in the pedal and the calliper pistons do not over return.

allandwf

Result! Well done, a bit of a chew but will potentially save others time and effort. Just done in time to enjoy the Spring/Summer.

allandwf

That's the hope Allan, where are you with yours?
Hmmm... I was hoping you wouldn't ask me that. Getting the Maserati fettled, and bought the house in Sicily so it's taken a bit of a back seat :( I still have it though :) It's on the list lol.

Alfa Muppet

It Lives!!!!!!!

Finished off tidying up the pipework, another full bleed for good measure, wheels back on, get her off the ramp and the pedal is a million times better that is was and she stops how she should.

I am not 100% sure of what the actual issue was but it was between the ABS unit (not the ABS unit itself) and the front brakes friction.

I am 99% sure it was not air nor sticking calipers but more so the hoses or over returning caliper pistons.

I suspect it was the hoses or better seals in the callipers but would urge anyone with the issue to first off replace the front flex hoses. They may look ok to the eye but thing they swell and break up over time a then bulge giving poor pedal feel.

Here is a summary of what I actually did to solve the mushy front brakes on a GTV/Spider 916 with Brembos:

1. Stripped and replaced the calliper seals and dust boots for a second time making sure it all moved freely.
2. Replaced the front flex hoses with OEM items
3. Ended up replacing the 2 front brake lines back to the ABS unit as they both sheered off. It was a nightmare of a job so if yours sheer, consider replacing and jointing only the bit that sheers off.
4. After reassemble, I made up 12mm plywood templates of the pads and fitted to the callipers instead of the pads (they are thinner and thus pull the pistons out further)
5. Replaced the rear bleed nipples (£12 from Alfa, fronts were already new)
6. Full suction/vaccum bleed of the system, twice
7. Remove the plywood pad templates and lever the calliper pistons just enough to be able to tap the pads back in*

* Do this and do not push the pistons home fully as they stick in the calliper. Also, you need the pads to back off when you release the brake pedal the smallest of amounts as they rock on the piston seals. I found this a more successful way of bleeding and setting up the callipers so there is no slop in the pedal and the calliper pistons do not over return.

Good news Matt - I'm about to start on the 164 so thanks for the guide!

conaero

Forum Owner
No it got driven over a curb and took the sump off. No body damage. All fully repaired and resprayed.

Sold to an enthusiast in Wales and I believe she’s still cherishing it.

Andyk

Hehehehe.........thought you would say that buddy....

To be honest this is Liz's car. Had it for 4 years and never missed a beat....rust coming on each arch at the back....interior could do with a tidy up.....wheels in **** state......but only 86k on click and was MOT'd tw o weeks ago with no advisory. That many 17 year old cars can say that.